CCOG for PE 140B Spring 2023
- Course Number:
- PE 140B
- Course Title:
- Boxing II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Expands knowledge, application and skills of the techniques used in Boxing I. Utilizes boxing equipment and focus pads to simulate contact. Offers the opportunity to practice defensive techniques with other students or the instructor. Boxing gloves and hand wraps are required. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Boxing gloves and hand wrap are required for this course
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
Develop a physical fitness plan that includes boxing.
Distinguish a professional boxing match from a workout in order to determine appropriate gear, rules, etiquette and length.
- Apply fundamental rules of engagement, strategies and tactics of the sport.
- Further increase levels of aerobic and anaerobic fitness, agility, coordination, and flexibility.
- Continue development of life-long fitness, health and wellness by incorporating boxing.
Course Activities and Design
- Continued improvement of overall physical conditioning through Boxing techniques
- Perform safe and effective Boxing techniques
- Continued development of life-long fitness, health and wellness
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs
- Active participation /effort
- Demonstrations of proficiency
- Written assignments and/or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Practice safe and effective warm-ups and cool-downs
- Intensity monitoring via target heart rate, Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE), and talk test method
- Components of fitness-related physical fitness and their benefits for life-long fitness
- Personal fitness assessment
- Personal fitness program design
- Modify exercises and activities for varying physical conditions and individual fitness levels