CCOG for MA 180 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- MA 180
- Course Title:
- Coding and Reimbursement
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces coding and reimbursement systems for physician offices and medical clinics.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the couse students will be able to:
- Describe how to use the most current procedural coding system, diagnostic coding classification system, and the most current HCPCS level II coding system.
- Discuss the legal implications of up-coding and down-coding and how the practice affects healthcare.
- Define medical necessity as it applies to procedural and diagnostic coding.
- Perform procedural and diagnostic coding.
- Follow medical necessity guidelines.
- Utilize tactful communication skills with medical providers to ensure accurate code selection.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Answering theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Using case studies - apply medical coding procedures.