CCOG for MA 118 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- MA 118
- Course Title:
- Medical Office Administrative Procedures (Lab)
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Students must also enroll in Medical Office Administrative Procedures (MA 117) concurrently.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Communicate appropriately and in a caring manner in a medical setting.
- Apply understanding of legal and ethical issues he/she may encounter in the medical setting to enhance decision making.
- Conduct and accurately record a health history.
- Apply Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations
as it relates to utilization of a patient's medical record.
- Recognize and apply appropriate accommodations for special needs and cultural differences within the healthcare setting.
- Perform entry-level competency in the performance of administrative duties of the medical office.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate the following learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- The goal is to develop skills in the actual performance of medical assistant administrative tasks in accordance with the theoretical knowledge taught in the administrative procedures course.
- Answer theoretical and application questions in lab modules.
- Utilize EHR / EMR or Practice Management computer program to process patient information.
- Structured labs are held weekly. Modules and a computer program that simulates the medical office will be explained and worked on during scheduled lab time.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The following list outlines the concepts, themes, and issues you need to understand and be able to use appropriately. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your understanding in written and oral form, individually and in groups.
- A combination of paper work modules and an electronic internet based system will be utilized to simulate administrative office activities.
- Laboratory performance is competency based with each module having specific criteria identified. Students will be required to repeat work until competency is demonstrated. The course grade will be PASS/NO PASS to demonstrate the competency performance.
- Manage appointment schedules using established priorities
- Display sensitivity when managing appointments
- Schedule a patient procedure
- Utilize an EMR system for administrative functions
- Input patient data utilizing a practice management system
- Perform routine maintenance of administrative or clinical equipment
- Perform inventory with documentation
- Create a patient's medical record, organize, and maintain a patient's medical record
- File patient medical records
- Students will also create charts for class use. Students will fill out registration forms, health history forms, medical release forms, and place them properly in a chart
BASIC PRACTICE FINANCES
- Perform accounts recieveable procedures to patient accounts including posting: charges, payments, adjustments
- Prepare bank deposit
- Obtain accurate patient billing information
- Inform a patient of financial obligations for services rendered
- Demonstrate professionalism when discussing patient's billing record
- Display sensitivity when requesting payment for services rendered
THIRD PARTY REIMBURSEMENT
- Interpret information on an insurance card
- Verify eligibility for services including documentation
- Obtain pre-certification or pre-authorization including documentation
- Complete an insurance claim form
- Interact professionally with third party representatives
- Display tactful behavior when communicating with medical providers regarding third party requirements
- Show sensitivity when communicating with patients regarding third party requirements
CONCEPTS OF EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION
- Develop a current list of community resources related to patients' healthcare needs
- Facilitate referrals to community resources in the role of a patient navigator
- Report relevant information concisely and accurately