Course Content and Outcomes Guide for GRN 175 Effective Summer 2019
- Course Number:
- GRN 175
- Course Title:
- The Aging Mind
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores the convergence of gerontology and recent brain science. Presents novel and combinatorial interventions based on recent research on aging brains. Introduces the emerging array of sustainable approaches to engage, stimulate, and enhance older minds. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
The course is required for the Advanced Behavioral & Cognitive Care Certificate, the revised Gerontology: Advocacy Certificate and the AAS Degree in Gerontology.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Successful students will be able to:
- Apply recent research on aging brains to enhance their own learning.
- Translate, combine, and apply recent research on aging brains to engage, stimulate, and enhance older minds in their work in aging services, life enrichment, adult education, and care settings.
- Stay current as new research on aging brains emerges.
Course Activities and Design
Web-based, D2L with ten modules plus two live lecture, discussion, and interactive 2.5 hour sessions that will be recorded during the second and sixth module week. Students may elect to attend the live session or to view the recordings of the sessions that will be available to registered students and then submit a written assignment.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A variety of assessments will be used, including
- Personal 7-Day Brain Health Assessment and Reassessment Process
- Brain Health Lexicons
- Discussion-Forum submissions
- Dropbox Assignments
- Accessing Emerging Brain Research Assignment
- Applying Brain Health Knowledge Final Paper Assignment
- Extra Credit Opportunities are available
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Longevity and The New Age of Aging
- The Golden Age of Brain Science - Why Now?
- Employing General Brain Health Assessments
- Minimizing Risk Factors while Enhancing Protective Factors
- The Six Essential CogWheels of Brain Health
- Understanding Comprehensive Cognitive Wellness Strategies
- Applying brain health knowledge.