Course Content and Outcomes Guide for GEO 244 Effective Winter 2021
- Course Number:
- GEO 244
- Course Title:
- Interactive Map Design
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Publish interactive maps on the web using GIS platforms and technologies.
- Apply principles of web-based cartography.
- Prepare, import and manage spatial data.
Course Activities and Design
The materials in this course will be presented in a computer lab setting through classroom lecture, discussion, software demonstrations, peer critique, and computer-based assignments. Other methods may be implemented such as small group work and in-class activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be expected to demonstrate mastery of themes, concepts, issues, competencies and skills by any combination of the following:
- Written results of class labs and exercises
- Creating and critiquing web maps
- Completion of a final project
- In-class discussions
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Demonstrate proficiency and comprehension in concepts and technologies related to web mapping
- Create and publish a custom interactive maps and data visualizations
- Understand the difference between preparing data for use in desktop and web-based mapping technologies
- Understand the difference between desktop and web-based cartography
- Demonstrate the ability to tell stories with maps
- Import, manage, and integrate spatial data from multiple sources