Course Content and Outcomes Guide for GEO 242 Effective Winter 2021
- Course Number:
- GEO 242
- Course Title:
- GIS Programming
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Apply basic computer programming fundamentals to GIS.
- Write scripts using the Python programming language.
- Automate and design custom tools for GIS.
Course Activities and Design
The materials in this course will be presented in a computer lab setting through classroom
lecture, discussion, software demonstration, peer critique, and computer-based labs.
Other methods may be implemented such as small group work and in-class activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be expected to demonstrate mastery of themes, concepts, issues, competencies and skills by any combination of the following:
- Written results of class labs and exercises
- Completion of a midterm exam
- Completion of a final project
- In-class discussions
- Troubleshooting and Debugging scripts
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Demonstrate proficiency and comprehension of the most relevant scripting languages used within a GIS
- Understand theoretical considerations of GIS scripting with regards to working with spatial data, especially with the concepts of scale and projections
- Develop original scripts and tools within a GIS to process spatial data
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate GIS software with other software platforms.
- Demonstrate proficiencies in resolving errors with GIS programs and scripts