CCOG for ECE 122I Spring 2023
- Course Number:
- ECE 122I
- Course Title:
- Environments and Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces the use of developmentally and culturally appropriate practices and family involvement in planning, selecting, and evaluating environments and curriculum for infants and toddlers in early learning settings. Reviews relationship-based care, routines, transitions and play with infants and toddlers. Includes planning and implementing indoor and outdoor environment curriculum for infants and toddlers based on written observations and an environmental assessment. Requires 10 hours of engagement/observations in an infant or toddler classroom. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
As part of the NAEYC Accreditation, students must complete 10 hours of classroom time at an Infant or Toddler Classroom. The classroom time must include both observation and engagement with children. The classroom must be an Early Start Classroom or a licensed child care facility serving infants and toddlers.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Develop comprehensive plans for indoor and outdoor environments to support child growth and development.
- Develop individual and group lesson plans for infants and toddlers based on formal observations and environmental assessment tools.
- Assess indoor and outdoor environments utilizing a validated observation tool.
- Create a learning environment and lesson plans to reflect the culture of families, children and teachers.
Course Activities and Design
- Complete observations of infants/toddlers and professionals in an early education environments.
- Evaluate infant and toddler environments using environment rating scales and others evaluation tools as assigned.
- Develop lesson plans based individual child routines, interests and development.
- Complete quizzes or exams.
- Engage in activities and tasks related to course content.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group discussions.
- Complete site observation and evaluation reports.
- Complete and present a term project.
- Complete written quizzes or exams.
- Complete 10 hours of observation and participation at an licensed early learning site
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities relating to:
- Linkages between infant and toddler development, culture, and appropriate environments.
- The social and emotional atmosphere of the environment that works.
- Routines/Schedules for infants and toddlers
- Safety", Health, Rules, and Regulations in ECE settings
- Selecting materials for environments specific to infants and toddlers.
- Designing environments for infants and toddlers.
- The adult's role in supporting infants and toddlers in environments.
- Curriculum development or infants and toddlers