Course Content and Outcomes Guide for CIS 287M Effective Summer 2020
- Course Number:
- CIS 287M
- Course Title:
- Microsoft Server Security
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionPrepares IT security professionals working in medium to large computing environments to implement authorization and authentication strategies, use certificates and certificate authorities, use Encrypting File System, create secure baselines, use Software Update Services, enhance data transmission security, wireless network security, perimeter security and secure remote access. Focuses on Windows Server with some client content. Prerequisites: CIS 240M or instructor permission. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
On successful completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Design and administer a secure LAN consisting of the client and server computers.
- Utilize Install and administer various security tools
- Troubleshoot security related issues with Microsoft Server and client operating systems
Course Activities and Design
This course is presented by means of lecture/discussion sessions, assignments, exams, and lab projects.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Through exams and lab assignments students will be assessed to determine whether they are able to:
- Implement, manage, and troubleshoot security policies.
- Configure security based on computer roles.
- Implement, manage, and troubleshoot patch management infrastructure.
- Implement, manage, and troubleshoot security for network communications.
- Configure, deploy, manage and troubleshoot ipsec policies.
- Plan and implement security for wireless networks.
- Deploy, manage, and configure SSL certificates.
- Configure security for remote access users.
- Configure authentication for secure remote access.
- Configure and troubleshoot VPN protocols.
- Manage client configuration for remote access security.
- Plan, configure and troubleshoot authentication, authorization, and PKI.
- Plan group structure.
- Install, manage, and configure certificate services.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Security practices and policies.
- Security templates.
- Computer roles and security.
- Patch and upgrade practices.
- Secure communications.
- Ipsec, VPN and SSL.
- Wireless security.
- Remote access security.
- Authentication, authorization and public key infrastructure.
- Certificates and certificate authorities.