CCOG for CG 101 Spring 2023
- Course Number:
- CG 101
- Course Title:
- College Survival and Success: Personal Responsibility
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Provides information and techniques for personal responsibility as a means for creating college success. Introduces developing skills for navigating a culturally diverse learning environment and utilizing college resources and services. First course in a series (CG 101-103). Completion of CG 101-102-103 is equivalent to CG 100. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Use the concepts of accepting personal responsibility and interdependent behaviors to achieve academic and personal goals.
- Communicate and participate responsibly in order to navigate college systems.
- Use college resources and policies to determine and implement academic decisions.
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences to participate fully in college and community.
Course Activities and Design
- Physically visit or search online to find out where college resources are located on campus and learn what they have to offer students.
- Identify expectations in college environment as they relate to syllabus, attendance, assignments, communication with college personnel and peers.
- Introduce the concept and language of accepting personal responsibility (locus of control).
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences through case studies, simulations, video & discussion, and guest speakers.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Assess students’ ability to access resources and use them effectively (via a worksheet, quiz, presentation, etc.).
- Assess students’ writings, interactions, and/ or oral presentations for use of the language of responsibility
- Assess students’ understanding of how one’s identity impacts others through use of journals, activities, and discussion.
- Assess students’ ability to reflect on issues of diversity and cultural differences through use of journals, activities, and discussion.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- College calendar
- College catalog
- College course planning guide
- Classroom behavior and etiquette Importance of course syllabus
- Student rights and responsibilities
- College grading
- Important dates and deadlines
- Paying for college
- Distance learning, i.e. Web CT
- Online services, i.e. MyPCC, Grad Plan, Panther Tracks
- College/campus resources: multicultural center, women’s resource center, TRIO, computer labs, math lab, College Success Center, writing lab
- Student services: financial aid, advising, counseling, career resource center, job placement, cooperative education
- College policies
- Coping with transition