CCOG for APR 260 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- APR 260
- Course Title:
- Pneumatic System Operations
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Required Course for Apprentices registered in the Millwright/Industrial Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship Program. It is open to any other student but requires Department Permission to take this course.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Service, install, maintain, repair, analyze, and replace industrial air compressors and their components.
- Service, install, maintain, repair, analyze and replace industrial pneumatic systems that are used for both control and for process applications.
- Employ a working knowledge of pneumatic system components in order to perform preventive and corrective maintenance at an industrial worksite.
- Read and interpret pneumatic schematics in order to install and troubleshoot pneumatic systems and air compressors.
- *Demonstrate the functions of trades-specific industrial systems (required statewide outcome).
- *Identify mechanical and/or electrical industrial systems (*required statewide outcome).
Course Activities and Design
Course design is primarily lecture with some demonstration of a variety of pneumatic and air compressor components. Information is conveyed using mostly Power Point presentations and some online sources.
- Read and interpret pneumatic schematics
- Participate in field trips
- Size pneumatic tubing
- Calculate air pressures for proportional control
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment will be accomplished using skills' checklists filled out by an adequate sampling of Millwright/Industrial Maintenance Technician Training Agents or an Apprentice's Journey Person.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
For Air Compressors:
- Safety applied to compressed gas systems
- Physics of compressed gases
- Dry intake air filters
- Wet intake air filters
- Filter Maintenance
- Air Intercoolers for dehydration and air cooling
- Water Intercoolers for dehydration and air cooling
- Refrigeration dryers and coolers
- Chemical dryers including dessicant dyers
- Moisture separators
- Air receivers
- Relief valves
- Motors, drives, belts
- Inline Filters
- Pressure regulating valves including diaphragm and piston
- Automatic control switches and safety switches for compressors
For pneumatic systems:
- Directional control valves
- Check valves
- Flow control valves
- Pressure control valves
- Pressure relief valves
- Actuators including cylinder and motors
- Line diagrams for pneumatic systems
- Proportional controllers
- Inversely proportional controllers
- Inspection practices
- Scheduled lubrication and other Preventative maintenance procedures
- Troubleshooting of actuators, control valves, control circuits, sequence circuits, interlocks
- System preparation for shutdown
- Application of pneumatic troubleshooting charts
- Electronic interface with pneumatic controls
- Pneumatic thermostats including dead-band and bleed port
- Various pneumatic controllers including proportional/integral