How can I participate in basketball?
Contact the Athletic Director, Men's coach or Women's coach for current information about team activities. Following this initial contact you’ll be able to connect with the team and proceed from there.
What do I have to do to be eligible to participate?
- First-Year Athletes
- NWAC rules require that you enroll in and pass a minimum of 12 quarter credit hours each term. There is no GPA requirement for first-year athletes.
- Second-Year Athletes
- You must enroll in and pass a minimum of 12 quarter credit hours each term, you must maintain a 2.0 or better GPA, you must have passed 12 quarter credit hours during your previous term, and you must have accumulated a minimum of 36 quarter credits or the equivalent.
- Transfer Students From Non-Member Schools
- NWAC rules require that you pass 12 quarter credit hours during your previous term, and that you have a 2.0 or better GPA. If you have a 2.0 or better GPA but did not complete 12 quarter credit hours or the equivalent during your previous term, it is possible to petition your eligibility.
- Transfer Students From NWAC Member Schools
- If you participated in intercollegiate basketball at another NWAC member school, you must sit out for a minimum of three (3) academic terms (Fall, Winter, and Spring) before eligibility will be granted. In addition, you must have completed 12 quarter credit hours or the equivalent during your previous term, and you must have a 2.0 or better GPA.
- If you did not participate in intercollegiate basketball at your former NWAC member school, you may be eligible immediately if you passed a minimum of 12 quarter credit hours or their equivalent during your previous term, and your GPA is 2.0 or better.
When does the season begin?
Basketball practice officially begins on the third Monday of October, and the first game may be scheduled on the third Friday of November. The season typically lasts until the end of February, with playoffs and the championship tournament scheduled in early March.
When and where does the team practice?
Both the men’s and women’s teams practice at our new PE Facility located at Cascade Campus (600 North Killingsworth). Practices are typically conducted in the evening, Monday through Friday, during the season.
When and where are games?
During the non-league season from November through December, games may be scheduled Tuesday through Saturday. Non-league games may be either single games or double-headers.
During the NWAC league season, games are either on Wednesdays, beginning at 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., or Saturdays, beginning at 2pm and 4pm. League games are always double-headers.
Are athletic scholarships available?
Yes. NWAC rules allow a total of 8 tuition assistance awards up to the institutional maximum, or 24 terms of athletic tuition assistance, per team per year for basketball. At PCC this translates to a maximum of 15 quarter credits for a maximum of 3 terms per year times eight. These athletic tuition assistance awards are assigned by the respective Head Coaches, typically in the form of a Letter of Intent.
Note: PCC requires all student-athletes to submit a financial aid application. Athletic tuition assistance awards will be applied contingent on any financial aid that may be awarded. Thus, if a student-athlete qualifies for financial aid in a greater dollar amount than that awarded in athletic tuition assistance, the financial aid will replace the athletic tuition assistance award.