Vegetarian Indian Cooking for Teens
The vegetarian lifestyle isn't just about health and nutrition. It's also amazingly delicious and allows for tons of creativity. Join us for a hands-on class that covers cooking basics, world vegetarian cuisines and Indian cuisine in particular.
Important! Wear pants, closed-toe non-slip shoes and a long sleeved shirt.
Day 1: Basic Kitchen Essentials
We'll cover basic kitchen essentials, including:
- Knife skills (chopping, slicing, dicing, etc.)
- How to follow recipes
- Measuring, mixing, monitoring cooking temps and time, etc.
- Using various kitchen utensils
- Several cooking methods (sautéing, frying, etc.)
- The pros and cons of several cooking mediums (oils, fats, etc.)
Meal: We will prepare a simple vegetarian dish together using one of the cooking methods covered in class.
Day Two: World Cuisines, Indian Food, and Lentils
We'll have a discussion about vegetarian foods from around the world, with an emphasis on Indian cuisine. You'll learn about:
- The diversity of Indian food, as well as its healthful properties
- Spices specific to Indian cuisine and what each spices offers in terms of flavor and health benefits
- Cooking without dairy
- Various types of lentils and their importance
Meal: We will prepare two simple vegetarian dishes using lentils and ingredients that are in season.
Day Three: Bread and Thali
We'll learn about wholegrain flatbreads of India, including Rotis and Naans, and we'll review the skills learned earlier in the week.
Meal: We'll prepare a typical vegetarian Indian "Thali," which consists of a rice dish, two vegetable dishes, a lentil dish, and a yogurt salad.