Studies fictional, factual, and poetic works by Northwest writers from before the arrival of Euro-Americans to the present. Emphasizes relationship between Northwest writing and Northwest social, cultural, and physical environment. Prerequisite: WR 115 and RD 115 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- Course Description:
In this course, we will study fictional, factional, and poetic works by Northwest writers from before the arrival of Euro-Americans to the present. This course emphasizes the relationship between Northwest writing and Northwest social, cultural, and physical environment.
*Define 'Northwest literature' in relation to the physical environments and cultures, both tribal and Euro-American, which have produced it and which are often its central subjects.
*Trace the social and environmental histories of the Northwest through its literature.
*Connect the literature of the Northwest to other arts practiced in the Northwest and to other literature produced in the rest of the United States at comparable periods.
*Write clear, focused, coherent essays about literature for an academic audience, using standard English conventions of grammar and style.
Students in this course are expected to enter the course at least 3 times a week to check email and participate in discussions. Each time you log into the course be sure to check for any new announcements, email and discussion messages, and calendar postings.Participation in our class discussions is a large part of your grade. Your participation grade is based largely on the quality, depth, and thoughtfulness of your weekly discussion posts and also the responses you make to others' postings. No credit is earned for late posts. Please note that the Desire2Learn system automatically tracks when discussions and responses are posted, when people have logged in and viewed documents, and the length of time spent logged in. I do use this system in determining late work and participation grades so please keep this in mind.
Midterm: Literary Review Essay
Facilitating a Discussion
Expert Discussion Assignment
Evaluation of Assignments
Grades are based on your written assignments and the quality of your participation in class discussions. I will send feedback on assignments and post grades within one week after the due date. Be sure to look at your dropbox and the grades tab after they have been graded in order to receive feedback.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- Course Prerequisites
Placement into Writing 115, Reading 115 or equivalent placement test scores.
Textbook Northwest Passages: A Literary Anthology of the Pacific Northwest from Coyote Tales to Roadside Attractions.
Sasquatch Books, first edition.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- Web Prerequisite | Start Guide for Online Learners:
- Before you take your first online class at PCC, you must complete the start guide for online learners. The start guide will help you decide if online classes are right for you. Once you complete the start guide, you will be eligible to register for online classes. To learn more, go to http://www.pcc.edu/osg
This page includes filtered results. See all available sections for this class.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|27527 WEB »||-||28-Mar-2016 thru 11-Jun-2016|
Instructor: Angela L Berdahl
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Rock Creek