MUS201 Intro to Music and Its Lit
Covers music of the Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque eras of music history. Prerequisites/concurrent: WR 115 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- Please introduce yourself in Discussion by Wednesday of the first week of class, or you will be dropped to allow wait students entry. Welcome to Intro to Music and its Literature. Mus 201 focuses on the music of the Medieval through the Baroque Era, emphasizing the great Renaissance and Baroque masters including: Palestrina, Monteverdi, Vivaldi, Bach and Handel. The emergence of opera and improved musical instruments including the violin as an important musical and sociological influence, the new dimensions of instrumental art forms including operatic nationalism, and exoticism. An introduction to musical terms and instruments of the orchestra begins the course. There will be quizzes every week, study guide assignments, musical terms to define, listening assignments from the CDs that accompany the text, and class bulletin board responses. The quizzes are used as a learning tool, therefore you may re-take them with only the highest score being recorded. The Mid Term and Final Exam can be taken only ONCE and are timed. You will be required to write a Term Project on a topic of your choice (4-8 pages) and complete a Musical Experience which may include listening to a CD, watching a TV program or attending a live concert sometime during the quarter. All communication for this course is through D2L. To login to your course, please go to: https://my.pcc.edu and click on the Desire2Learn login.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- PC users will need a CD ROM, sound card and speakers with the ability to play MIDI files, WAV files, MP3 files, FLASH media, and MPEG files. PC/Mac users will need QuickTime, and RealOne Player. Homework assignments are to be done with Microsoft Word 2000 or above for PC or Microsoft Word for Mac OS10. Acceptable files include: .doc .docx or .rtf. Use Firefox as your browser Enjoyment of Music 11th Ed. ISBN 978 0 393 93520 2 January 2011 Hardcover $97.50. This text will be used for Mus 201, Mus 202, and Mus 203.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||45224||-||22-Sep-2014 thru 13-Dec-2014|
Instructor: Judy L Cervetto Hedberg
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Rock Creek