Presents the fundamentals of human genetics. Includes physical basis of inheritance, the mechanics of inheritance, probability, sex chromosomal abnormalities, autosomal anomalies, gene structure and function, molecular genetics, behavioral genetics, twinning and contemporary issues in human genetics. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores, AND (BI 101 and BI 102), or (BI 211 and BI 212), or BI 112. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- Human genetics has 3 main components: exams, quizzes, and case studies. You will be expected to learn 18 chapters over 10 weeks and work in a discussion forum to apply course knowledge to a case scenario each week. The prerequisites are very important, especially in terms of cellular architecture, replication, transcription, and translation. Expect to spend between 9-12 hours per week on this course.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- Prerequisites: BI112 or BI211 plus BI212 Required Text: Human Heredity Principles and Issues 11th edition, by Michael R. Cummings (Thomson, Brooks/Cole) Note: I will also accept the 8th, 9th, or 10th editions, but the PCC bookstore sells the 11th edition. The midterm and final are held at PCC Rock Creek Campus. You are welcome to take the exams at any university testing center.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- Web Prerequisite | Start Guide for Online Learners:
- Before you take your first online class at PCC, you must complete the start guide for online learners. The start guide will help you decide if online classes are right for you. Once you complete the start guide, you will be eligible to register for online classes. To learn more, go to http://www.pcc.edu/osg
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|46685 WEB »||-||21-Sep-2015 thru 12-Dec-2015|
Instructor: Cortny A Williams
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Rock Creek