Covers classification of diseases and current reimbursement systems utilizing ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM. Prerequisite: HIM 131. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- Course Specific Requirements:
- This course is an Introduction to ICD-10-CM coding and is open only to second-year students admitted to the HIM program. We will learn diagnosis coding only using the book published by AHIMA 'Basic ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding, 2013 Edition'. The recommended code book is also published by AHIMA, 'ICD-10-CM Coding Book, 2015 Draft'. Any 2014, 2015 or 2016 ICD-10-CM code book can be used in the class since there has been a freeze on updates due to the upcoming conversion from ICD-9 to ICD-10. There is an error in all the 2013 code books that I have seen in the OB chapter so I don't recommend using code books from that year. At the present time, it is expected that we will convert to ICD-10 on October 1, 2015. In the unlikely event that it is again delayed, we will change to the similar textbook by AHIMA that teaches ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM together. For this class, you must have both the textbook and the code book. The textbook teaches you the coding process. You use the code book to look up the codes.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- Web Prerequisite | Start Guide for Online Learners:
- Before you take your first online class at PCC, you must complete the start guide for online learners. The start guide will help you decide if online classes are right for you. Once you complete the start guide, you will be eligible to register for online classes. To learn more, go to http://www.pcc.edu/osg
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|43091 WEB »||-||21-Sep-2015 thru 12-Dec-2015|
Instructor: Bonnie M Altus
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Cascade