MTH111 College Algebra
Explores relations and functions graphically, numerically, symbolically, and verbally. Examines exponential, logarithmic, polynomial, and rational functions. Investigates applications from a variety of perspectives. Graphing calculator required. TI-89 Titanium or Casio Classpad 330 recommended. Prerequisite: MTH 95, RD 115, and WR 115, or equivalent placement. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- MATHEMATICS AND DISTANCE LEARNING
Learning mathematics online is not easy. It is imperitive that your weekly schedule has room for at least 15 hours a week for this course. Just like in a face-to-face class, you should expect to spend five hours per week on lecture-equivalent course components (reading your textbook and lecture notes, watching videos, and participating in discussions) and an additional 10 - 12 hours per week working on practice homework, graded homework, and quizzes. To succeed in this course you will need to have strong time management skills and be comfortable with computers.
Visit the Distance Learning Page to determine if an online course is right for you.
Please seriously consider your level of preparation with the prerequisite material (MTH 95 Intermediate Algebra), the amount of time you can devote to this course each week, and if an online learning environment for mathematics is conducive to your learning style.
MTH 111 requires two proctored, closed note, closed book, open-response exams that count for 60% of the total grade for the course. The proctored exams are administered at the Sylvania Campus. If you live outside the area, contact me to arrange to have your exams proctored at another site. The exam dates will be posted shortly.
ABOUT MTH 111
Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115, and MTH 95 or equivalent placement test scores. Additionally, if it has been more than one calendar year since you successfully completed a math course, please review the PCC Math Department's Preliminary Placement Guidelines.
MTH 111 is the first of two precalculus courses offered at PCC. The second course, MTH 112 Elementary Functions, will use the second part of the text.
MTH 111 will begin reviewing basic material from MTH 95 (functions) with an emphasis on application problems. New material will include properties and applications of polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic functions.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- COURSE TEXTBOOK
The required textbook is ''College Algebra and Trigonometry,'' Custom Edition for Portland Community College, 2011, by Michael Sullivan and Michael Sullivan,III; Pearson Publishers (ISBN 13: 978-1-256-28359-1). This custom text is taken from ''Precalculus: Concepts Through Functions; A Unit Circle Approach to Trigonometry, Second Edition'' published by Pearson Publishers (ISBN-13: 978-0-321-64487-9). Either text will suffice for the course, but the custom edition is less expensive and is available at all PCC Bookstores.
SOFTWARE, HARDWARE, AND PLUG-IN REQUIREMENTS
You need to have access to a computer connected to the internet at least several times per week. Be sure to have the following updated software installed on your computer:
- A PDF reader (such as Adobe Acrobat Reader) to read the online modules.
- One of the following so that you may submit homework containing proper mathematical notation and symbols electronically:
- Microsoft Word with the Equation Editor (it is included with MS-Word)
- Microsoft Word with Math Type (a separate, third-party software for which PCC have access)
- Libre Office (a free office suite package)
- Access to a scanner.
- Some content will require an updated version of the browser plug-in Java Runtime Environment.
- Familiarity with file management, email, and uploading documents.
A graphing calculator is required for this course. The recommended (not required) calculator is the TI89, TI Voyage 200, or Casio Classpad. Most other TI graphing calculators are sufficient for this class.
Finally, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||44876||-||23-Sep-2013 thru 14-Dec-2013|
Instructor: Ann E Cary
Notes: See inst webpage at - spot.pcc.edu/~acary
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Sylvania
This page includes one section only, more sections may exist for this class.