RD115 College Reading
Focuses on expanding reading frequency and effectively reading complex college level texts; Emphasizes comprehension strategies, critical reading and thinking skills, information literacy, vocabulary development, student success strategies and adapting reading rate to different reading tasks. Prerequisite: Placement into RD 115 or successful completion of RD 90 AND placement into WR 90 OR successful completion of WR 80; OR ESOL 252 and ESOL 260. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- Course Description: College Reading focuses on expanding reading frequency and effectively reading complex college level texts. Comprehension strategies, critical reading and thinking skills, information literacy, vocabulary development, student success strategies and adapting reading rate to different reading tasks are emphasized.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- Required Text(s)for this course: Smith, Brenda D. Bridging the Gap: College Reading (e-text), 11th Edition. San Francisco: Longman, 2014. Carlson, Michelle. Mercury Reader. San Francisco: Pearson, 2011. A novel of your choice. A dictionary (this needs to have more than 50,000 words). Texts 1 & 2 are Available ONLY at the Sylvania Bookstore and will be packaged together. Your textbook package you will contain a small card along with the novel. Hold on to this card as you will need it to access your e-text version of Bridging the Gap: College Reading. Texts 3 & 4 are sold separately, but the dictionary and select novels are available at the Sylvania Bookstore ( 971-722-8119), or order online: Sylvania Bookstore. You should wait to buy your novel until the first week of class as it will need to be approved.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||43068||-||22-Sep-2014 thru 13-Dec-2014|
Instructor: Michelle R Carlson
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Sylvania
This page includes one section only, more sections may exist for this class.