MTH70 Review of Intro Algebra
Review of algebraic concepts and processes with a focus on linear equations and inequalities in one and two variables, functions, linear systems, properties of exponents, polynomials, and quadratic equations. Applications, graphs, functions, formulas, and proper mathematical notation are emphasized throughout the course. A scientific calculator is required. The TI-30X II is recommended. Prerequisites: (MTH 63 or MTH 65) and (RD 80 or ESOL 250) Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- Once the quarter begins, this course will be accessed by logging into MyPCC and clicking on the Desire2Learn login link (on the left of your MyPCC homepage).
This course is NOT self-paced. There is work due every week.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- Online and Campus Requirements:
Students will be working in two online platforms and taking at least two on-campus proctored exams:
- Desire2Learn (D2L): This is the college's platform that enrolled students automatically have access to. Students will find information about the course (syllabus, due dates, supporting material, announcements, etc.), complete discussion boards, email the instructor, and submit worksheets in D2L.
- MyMathLab (MML): This platform is hosted by the publisher of the book and requires purchase (see below). Students will complete homework and take quizzes in MML.
- On-campus Exams: There will be at least two required on-campus exams (and no more than four). A valid photo ID is required (license or PCC student ID). Students who do not live in the area may take the campus exams at an approved location that provides proctoring services for the public (typically a college or military base).
How to purchase MyMathLab (MML):
To access MML, students need the student ID and the instructor/course code (provided in the syllabus in Desire2Learn when the quarter begins). There are two ways to get a MML student ID:
Purchase a NEW Math 70 textbook from a PCC bookstore. New textbooks purchased at a PCC book store have both MML student ID and the student solution manual (odd problems worked out).
Note: Fall 2014 we have an new book -- prior MTH 70 book codes for MML will probably not work.
- Purchase MML online without purchaseing a textbook (information for how to do this is given in the syllabus when the course begins).
Students will be graded in two ways for this course:
- Competence for specific skills that are critical for the next math course (MTH 95). Competence for these skilss must be shown on the on-campus proctored exams (where a valid photo id is required). Failure to show most of these skills during the quarter will seriously adversely affect the grade. Exams also include non-competency knowledge/skills.
- Passing score for other course material is required. Work for other material will be shown in a variety of ways (such as MyMathLab homework and quizzes, worksheets, on-campus proctored midterm and final).
- This course is NOT self-paced. There is work due every week.
- If you choose to purchase a textbook, all Math 70 courses at PCC use the same book. The book is a PCC custom edition and can be found at any PCC bookstore.
- Although only NEW textbooks purchased at a PCC bookstore are guaranteed to have MyMathLab code, some used books may have the MyMathLab student access code. The code is book-specific (you can't use the MyMathLab code from the MTH 60/65 book) and user-specific (you can't use a code that another student has used). If the seal is broken on the MML insert in the used book, do not buy it! Be sure to save your receipt in case the MyMathLab code does not work.
- MyMathLab includes an electronic version of the textbook (although it is slightly different from PCC's custom edition). Some students prefer to have a hard copy of the textbook; others do not mind using the electronic version. The choice is yours.
- It is cheaper to purchase a NEW textbook from a PCC bookstore that has MML bundled with it than to purchase a used text and MyMathLab separately.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||40739||-||22-Sep-2014 thru 13-Dec-2014|
Instructor: Michele M Marden
Notes: MyMathLab REQUIRED. Click on "Course Information Page".
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Sylvania
This page includes one section only, more sections may exist for this class.