SOC230 Intro to Gerontology
Introduces current practice, programs, and policies in the field of gerontology. Addresses professional standards of practice and service delivery, as well as advocacy and policy directions, from a person-directed perspective, responsive to social inequalities and cultural diversity. Recommend: Introductory sociology course or instructor permission. Prerequisites: WR115, RD115, and MTH20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- SOC230 Introduction to Gerontology is required for the AAS Degree in Gerontology and the Gerontology Certificate (44 credit). It also fulfills the Social Science General Education and cultural literacy requirements. The course focuses on aging practice and policies, including housing and communities, care and caregiving, health and healthcare, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, the Older Americans Act, work and retirement, death and dying, and more. Assignments include an Applied Research Project. Required text: Moody and Sasser's Aging: Concepts and Controversies, 7th edition (also used for SOC223). To login to your course, please go to: https://my.pcc.edu and click on the Desire2Learn login. Do the online orientation if you are new to distance learning and D2L.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- The online section (22137) of this course is connected with a class-web section (CRN22138). Students from either section can attend weekly class meetings on Tuesdays, 7-8:20pm in SY TCB107. These are not required, but provide a great value. NOTE: THE FIRST CLASS MEETING (4/2) WILL NOT BE HELD, but a video-streamed orientation will be posted in the D2L course. Peer mentors can provide you support. Standard prerequisites apply. Contact me for questions or advising: email@example.com, 971-722-4077.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||22137||-||01-Apr-2013 thru 15-Jun-2013|
Instructor: Jan L Abushakrah
Notes: Service-Learning Required-www.pcc.edu/servicelearning
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Sylvania
This page includes one section only, more sections may exist for this class.