CAS133 Basic Computer Skill/MS Office
Introduces the basic features of Microsoft Office, Windows basics, and file management. Develops familiarity with Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, email, and Internet basics. Provides an overview of the MyPCC Portal website. Covers components of the Internet and Computing Core (IC3) program content. Recommended: RD 115 and WR 115. Keyboarding by touch recommended. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- Welcome to CAS 133-Basic Computer Skills Using Microsoft Office 2010.
In this class you will be introduced to the following software applications:
This is a beginning level class and no previous computer experience is required. However, keyboarding skills are necessary and weekly deadlines will be enforced. While this is a beginning level class, please recognize that there is a lot of work included in order to cover the basic MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) as well as email, Internet, Windows, and file management! It will be extremely important that you are organized and manage your time well to stay on track with assigned deadlines.
You must use Microsoft Office 2010 for this class. This class is not designed for MACs, Open Source software, or older versions of Office. The class is designed to use either Windows 7 or Windows Vista.
If you have Windows 8, I will provide you with some support; however, please be aware that the college is not yet supporting this operating system on a regular basis. Each main PCC campus does have a computer lab if you need to complete work in Windows 7 there.
The required text for this course is Microsoft Office 2010 Illustrated Series Introductory, First Course packaged with 180 day trial of MS Office 2010, and SAM; Cram, Beskeen, Reding, Duffy, Friedrichsen, authors; Cengage, publisher; ISBN 9781285582795. You should purchase this package from the PCC bookstore as it is much cheaper bundled than trying to purchase used books, which DO NOT come with Office or SAM.
SAM is required in this class. SAM is a Skills Assessment Manager program that we will use as a supplement to your textbook. This is a great program because training is available that provides instant help and feedback for learning Office 2010 skills. You will also complete exams and projects using SAM. You will need a portable storage device (flash drive) if you are using a computer other than your own.
You must access the class and complete the certain required assignments by Friday of Week 1 to maintain your registered status. These assignments will be clearly listed and indicated within the Desire2Learn homepage when course access begins on the first day of the term. Your position in the class can be offered to a student on the wait list if you do not access the class.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- The class and textbook are designed for Windows 7, but you may also use Windows Vista. If you have recently purchased a new computer or have upgraded to Windows 8, I will work with you as much as I can. Please be aware, however, that PCC does not yet support this new operating system fully. The Microsoft Office suite is the software you will use in this class.
You need Internet access. If you are not familiar with the Internet, call an Internet Service Provider (ISP). They are listed in the yellow pages of your phone book under Internet access providers.
Users of AOL, please go to: http://www.pcc.edu/resources/help-desk/aol.html for specific information about accessing courses using AOL.
You will need an internet browser installed on your computer. The following browsers are supported by the software we use to deliver online courses: Internet Explorer, AOL, Mozilla Firefox. Other Internet browsers may work but are not currently supported. If your computer is fairly new, you will have Internet Explorer on your computer. It is recommended to use Mozilla Firefox as your primary browser.
This course will be using Desire2Learn, our Learning Management Software at PCC that is used to deliver online courses. To login to your course, please go to: https://my.pcc.edu and click on the Desire2Learn login link on the left of your MyPCC homepage.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||22105||-||31-Mar-2014 thru 14-Jun-2014|
Instructor: Kelly J Peden
Notes: Office 2010.
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Rock Creek
This page includes one section only, more sections may exist for this class.