MUS105 Music Appreciation
Provides an introduction to understanding symphonic music in the vocal and instrumental genres from the ancient period through the contemporary music of our time. Class will be presented using a multi-media format. Prerequisite/concurrent: WR 115 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
Please introduce yourself in Discussion by Wednesday of the first week of class, or you will be dropped to allow wait students entry.
Welcome to Music Appreciation. Music Appreciation highlights music from the Medieval through the 20th Century featuring instrumental and vocal music. Musical terms are presented along with a study of the instruments of the orchestra, musical genres and some of the most famous and influential composers from the past, e.g., Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Stravinsky, American music including blues, jazz and rock music, along with Global music and New Directions and styles in music of the 21st century.
There will be quizzes every week, study guide assignments, musical terms to define, listening assignments, and class bulletin board responses. The quizzes are used as a learning tool, therefore you may re-take them with the highest score being recorded. The Mid Term and Final Exam can be taken only 1 time and are timed. You will be required to write a Term Project on a topic of your choice (4-8 pages) and complete a Musical Experience which may include listening to a CD, watching a TV program or attending a live concert sometime during the quarter.
All communication for this course takes place using Desire To Learn D2L.
To login to your course, please go to: https://my.pcc.edu and click on the Desire2Learn login.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- PC/Mac users will need a CD ROM, speakers with the ability to play MIDI files, QuickTime Movies, MP3 files, FLASH media and RealPlayer.
Homework assignments are to be done with Microsoft Word for PC or Mac. Acceptable files include: .doc .docx or .rtf.
Use Firefox as your browser
Enjoyment of Music 11th Shorter. ISBN 978-0-393-93415-1 $75.00
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||20696||-||01-Apr-2013 thru 15-Jun-2013|
Instructor: Judy L Cervetto Hedberg
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Rock Creek
This page includes one section only, more sections may exist for this class.