RD90 Reading 90
Improves reading through work on vocabulary development, motor skills, comprehension and some reading rate improvement. Prerequisite: Placement into RD 90 or successful completion of RD 80 AND placement into WR 80. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- Welcome to RD 90. My name is Carol Claassen, and I will be your online distance learning instructor. Please note that this class takes place entirely online; we will not be meeting in person unless we decide to meet on campus. I tutor in the Reading Center at PCC Rock Creek and encourage you to use this resource. I'm excited to introduce you to different ways of reading and to help you learn new techniques that will improve your reading experiences. My students find me to be supportive and kind--but also firm and fair. I value good studentship (behaviors that demonstrate personal responsibility and understanding of college and class policies) and will honor the terms and conditions of the contract (syllabus) in order to establish a clear and safe learning environment. If you will be using accommodations this term, please make arrangements with PCC's Disability Services as soon as possible.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- You have several assignments due in the first week. These assignments are meant to introduce you to the course and orient you to the Desire 2 Learn environment. IMPORTANT: students who do not complete the work due by Wednesday night of the first week will be dropped (and not re-added) from the course as No Shows for lack of attendance. You are expected to log in several times a week to read the newsfeed, check D2L email, participate in weekly discussions, check answer keys, take quizzes, and turn in assignments. Expect between 4 and 9 hours of weekly work for this course (that includes reading course documents and texts as well as doing the written work and interacting in the classroom). No late assignments will be accepted, so it is important that you manage your time well and heed schedule due dates. Read all course documents, read instructions carefully, and ask course-related questions via email when they arise. Tech questions (about computer issues or Desire 2 Learn) need to be directed to the Student Help Desk, not me. We will be using two books this term: Carol Kanar's The Reader's Corner, 4th edition, ISBN 9780495802563 AND Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking, ISBN: 978-1400078431. Both texts are at the PCC Rock Creek bookstore (not at other campuses). You may also be able to find these books for purchase or rent online; however, you will need them for the second week of the term, so keep time in mind if ordering on the web. You will also need access to a scanner or digital camera--for purposes of posting images of annotated textbook pages. Those who do not want to write in the textbook will need to make copies of the assigned pages and write on the copies before scanning them in or sending pictures. Most PCC libraries have the equipment, but you might also check with a county library. There are also many local 'copy services' stores where you can make copies or scan pages.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||13691||-||06-Jan-2014 thru 22-Mar-2014|
Instructor: Carol R Claassen
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Rock Creek
This page includes one section only, more sections may exist for this class.