HST105 Hist of India & S. Asia Region
Introduces the history of India and the South Asian region. Includes political, diplomatic, economic, social, religious, and cultural themes from pre-history to modern times. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available. (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- Hello Good Students: Welcome to History of India! India is second only to China in population and in a few years will likely be the most populous country in the world! It's good to know about it, and I'm glad you're interested. See the course info below, and realize it looks more daunting all at once than it will one week at a time. I look forward to seeing you on line. Sylvia
- Course Specific Requirements:
- Required Text(s) Trautmann, Thomas R. 'India: Brief History of a Civilization.' Oxford University Press, Inc., 2011. ISBN 978-0-19-973632-4 'The Ramayana.' Trans. R. K. Narayan. NY: Penguin, 1972 (other versions are acceptable) ISBN 0-14-0-8700-6 [Note: there will also be primary source required web readings throughout the modules.] (Possible Alternative Texts [The Trautmann text is a fine, brief, inexpensive overview of the history of India, but if you desire a deeper or more thorough text, we do have these (see below) in the PCC library and they are easy to purchase. Using an earlier version will be fine. If you decide to use one of these instead, let me know.]) SarDesai, D.R. 'India: The Definitive History.' California: Westview Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-8133-4352-5 [this one written by an Indian historian, and his bias is clear.] Wolpert, Stanley. 'A New History of India.' NY: Oxford University Press, 2004. ISBN 0-19-516678-7 [a highly regarded scholar but a bit heavy.] Activities, Assignments and Assessments: Two essay exams; Essay on 'The Ramayana'; Discussions online; Short responses to readings;Scholarly Article Response Paper; Choice between a book review and a service-learning project
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||44133||-||23-Sep-2013 thru 14-Dec-2013|
Instructor: Sylvia H Gray
Notes: Service-Learning Optional - www.pcc.edu/service-learning
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Sylvania
This page includes one section only, more sections may exist for this class.