MTH20 Basic Math
Covers fractions, decimals, percents, integer, measurements to write, manipulate, interpret, and solve application and formula problems. Introduces concepts of basic statistics. A scientific calculator is required. The TI-30X II is recommended. Prerequisite: (ABE 0782 or placement into MTH 20) and (placement into RD 80 or ESOL 250). (For detailed information, see the Course Content and Outcome Guide ).
Distance Education: Web Course Information
- From the Instructor:
- Instructor Note: Take the Orientation to Desire 2 Learn which is located in your mypcc on the left column under desire to learn. Hello and welcome to Math 20-Basic Math online! My name is Marilyn Marshall. I have taught Math 20 online for approximately 15 years. I worked full time up through June 2010 teaching developmental math and coordinating the Learning Center on the Rock Creek Campus. I was also Department Chair for Developmental Education Reading and Writing. My passion is helping students overcome some of their math fears, fill in their math gaps, and have some fun in the process. You will want to register early as this course fills rapidly. I do have a wait-list. This 4 credit course will cover the same material presented in the 'traditional' Math 20 classroom at Portland Community College campuses. This includes fractions, decimals, ratio, proportion, percent, pre-algebra, and pre-geometry. This will be an exciting way to learn but there are requirements. You should be available to spend between 10-15 hours a week to complete your 'Required Math Work'. This is not a self-paced class. There will be specific assignments and due dates. For the Midterm(week 5) and the final(week 11), you will be required to come to the Rock Creek Campus to take both of these tests. This is required by the Portland Community College Math Department. In addition, we will be using an online math system that you will need to purchase access to AFTER the term begins for $50.00. I will provide that information when the term begins. YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO PURCHASE A TEXT FOR THIS COURSE. There is a free etext online. You will be successful in this on-line course if you are a student who is comfortable with the following: 1. You can read and follow directions. 2. You can use resources available to you. 3. You communicate easily via e-mail. 4. You have allocated approximately 10-15 hours each week to work on your math and complete assignments and exams at required times. 5. You have the desire to meet the challenge to review basic math concepts necessary to allow you to move to the next math course. 6. You are patient. 7. You want to have fun learning math! Course Specific Requirements: Prerequisites: Math placement test score above 33 or successful completion of ABS 099. No Text is needed for this course. You will do all your required work within a math system called ALEKS. It is done completely online. There is NO CHARGE to access this math system for winter term. There is an etext associated with this math system called ALEKS and you will be able to access the etext and support information anytime once the course begins.
- Course Specific Requirements:
- Course Specific Requirements: Prerequisites: Math placement test score above 33 or successful completion of ABS 099. In addition, students must purchase a spiral notebook and a calculator with a fractions function.(around $10.00) If you have never taken an on-line course using Desire 2 Learn, you must complete the Desire 2 Learn online orientation. I will provide the ALEKS access course code through an email right before the course begins and also within desire2learn. This will allow you to access ALEKS and begin your work.
- Web Technical Requirements:
- Please be sure to read the Technical Requirements for this delivery mode.
- Students with Disabilities:
- Students with disabilities should notify their instructor if accommodations are needed to take this class. For information about technologies that help people with disabilities in taking Web based distance learning classes please visit the Office for Students with Disabilities website.
- To register, you need the CRNs (ex. 22398) of your selected classes.
- Please note that for many courses, additional fees may apply.
- To find textbooks, you need the CRN, Campus, Term & Course Number (ex. BA101).
|CRN||Campus / Bldg / Rm||Time||Days||Dates|
|WEB »||21527||-||01-Apr-2013 thru 15-Jun-2013|
Instructor: Marilyn F Marshall
Notes: No book required; Contact instructor for information.
Tuition: credit Fees: $20.00
For information, contact Rock Creek
This page includes one section only, more sections may exist for this class.