Tables should only be used to display tabular data. They should not be used for layout, or creating text columns.
What is tabular data? It's information that has to be laid out in columns and rows such as a bus schedule.
Tables are styled to expand and contract with the page size. You cannot change the cell sizes or table width. Be careful when using tables; too many columns can create problems with the page template and cause text to break out of the template.
Creating a Table
- Click the Table icon on the Toolbar:
- Indicate the number of columns and rows, but do not set width, border or padding. Click OK.
- This is what you will get.
- Now fill in with your data. This is the Trimet route for the 44 bus.
SW Capitol & Sunset SW Troy & 35th SW 49th & PCC Entrance 8:06am 7:58am 8:09am 8:19am 8:12am 8:23am
- To indicate what is a header, highlight the header row and right click. Choose Table Cell Properties.
- You will get a menu like this one:
- Put a checkmark on Header row.
- Now you have a table with headers that are styled. Also notice in the menu on Step 5, how you can also choose to merge table cells (just highlight the cells you want to merge), and insert and delete columns and rows.
|SW Capitol & Sunset||SW Troy & 35th||SW 49th & PCC Entrance|