Skip to page content
- Fall 2016 English Skills Tutoring Schedule
- This is a printable schedule of the tutors' availability.
- Summer 2016 Tutoring in Other Subjects
- Tutoring in subjects such as Speech Communications, Basic Philosophy, and History (varies each term) is available in the English Skills area of the Student Learning Center according to this printable schedule.
- Free Workshops--Everyone Welcome!
- During fall, winter, and spring terms, we offer workshops on a variety of helpful topics. We have workshops on grammar and punctuation, reading comprehension, essay writing, helpful software, and much, much more!
- Workshops to Help You Use Technology to Succeed with Class Assignments Fall 2016 schedule will be announced by the beginning of fall term.
- During fall, winter, and spring terms, we offer workshops intended to give you tips on keyboarding and other reading and writing-related technology.
- Self-Paced English Skills Lab (ALC) Classes for 0, 1, 2, and 3 Credits See English Skill Building on the PCC Schedule for registration information.
- Develop your reading, writing, and communication skills at your own pace. Contact the English Skills Lab Instructor if you have questions or want to schedule an orientation. These classes are not offered at Sylvania Campus during summer term.
- Fall 2016 English Conversation Groups
- Drop in on these free Conversation Groups in the Student Learning Center’s Conference Room. (Groups are most appropriate for students at ESOL level 4 or higher.)
- Fall 2016 English Conversation Partner Program
- Student and volunteer participants wanted for the English Conversation Partner Program!
We need volunteers who speak English like a native language to spend an hour a week (or more) working with students who are non-native speakers of English and want to practice their speaking and listening skills. Please review our orientation and come by the Sylvania Student Learning Center to find out more. Submit inquiries and volunteer availability forms to Shani Ong or Laurel Spillum in the center. New volunteers will be asked to read our English Conversation Partner Program Handbook and talk with an Office Lead or the English Coordinator before working with students. For a humorous introduction to how to be more culturally sensitive, participants may also view The Do's and Don'ts of Cultural Sensitivity.
- Federal Work Study and Volunteer English Tutor Positions Available
- English tutor positions are available for individuals who have been awarded Federal Work Study on their Award Nonfiction Letters or are interested in volunteering in the Student Learning Center. Work Study English Tutor Application | Volunteer English Tutor Application
- YouTube Podcasts in English Skills
- Online English skills podcasts in composition and grammar & punctuation.
Online American English Pronunciation Dictionary.
- Online Study and Practice Materials
- Online English skills resources in grammar & writing, reading, vocabulary, spelling, study skills, and communication & pronunciation.