Sylvania SS 215 | 971-722-4419 | FAX: 971-722-8129
America Reads Work-Study Mentor Position Description
America Reads is a national campaign to help all children learn to read well and independently by the end of elementary school. Nationwide, there are approximately 1200 colleges and universities who participate in America Reads.
At Portland Community College, America Reads Work-Study Mentors earn their work-study funds by working at designated elementary schools throughout the tri-county region. Mentors provide reading and academic support through various activities, which include: reading with students one-on-one or in small groups, engaging students in literacy and math-based academic activities, and performing other classroom duties as assigned.
- Assist K-3 students in the development and enjoyment of reading skills.
- Engage students in academic activities, either one-on-one or with small groups.
- Collaborate with program supervisors, school administrators, and school teachers & staff members to assess students’ needs and how best to address them.
- Financial Aid and Work-Study eligible
- Ability to pass a Criminal Record Background Check
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for academics, especially reading, writing, and/or math
- Experience and/or clear interest in working with school-age children
- Ability to work well with school staff and administrators, as well as K-3 students
- Willingness to work as a team member and support the mission/goals of the host site
- Ability to commit to a regular schedule (flexible hours, but consistent schedule is required)
- Preference given for a full year commitment, as relationships are the focus.
- Ability to relate to kids, ability to laugh. Need to make a difference is strongly suggested.
Community-Based Work-Study pays $11/hour.
Available Position Locations
- Barnes Elementary SHINE Program, 16550 S.W. Merlo Road, Beaverton
- Kelly Elementary SUN School, 9030 S.E. Cooper Street, Portland
- Markham Elementary, 10531 S.E. Capitol Highway, Portland
- Marysville at Rose City Park SUN School, 2334 N.E. 57th Avenue,Portland
- Trillium Charter School, 5420 N. Interstate Avenue, Portland
- AC Portland, Multiple Afterschool Program locations throughout Portland
- SMART Program, Multiple Afterschool Program locations throughout Portland
Application Process & Timeline
- Attend one of the mandatory orientations being held at the following times/locations:
- Wednesday, September 19th (10:00-11:30am) - Rock Creek Campus (Building 5, Room 115A)
- Wednesday, September 19th (1:00-2:30pm) - Cascade Campus (TH 112)
- Thursday, September 20th (3:00-4:30pm) - Sylvania Campus (CC Cedar Room)
- Complete I-9 and W-4 documentation.
- Refer to the work-study guidelines established by the College.
- Fill out your America Reads Time log and have your site supervisor sign each day that you are at your work site.
- Fill out the PCC Payroll Timesheet. The hours on your AR Time log should match your PCC Payroll Timesheet.
- Track your hours on the Work-Study Balance Sheet.
- Return your America Reads Time log and PCC Payroll Timesheet to the Office of Service-Learning. Please keep copies for your own personal records.