When registering, PCC students taking credit classes can choose between receiving traditional letter grades (A-F) and Pass/No Pass (P/NP), (providing the department has permitted both options for a course). If you do not select a grading option, you will automatically have the default grading option for that course. The default option is generally a letter grade, but could be pass/no pass.
How to choose your grading option:
- Choose when you register for classes - either online or in person. (See example.)
- You can change your grading option in MyPCC through the end of the eighth week of the term - see Academic Calendar for term dates. (See example.)
- Once an instructor has posted a grade, changing the grading option will no longer be available to the student.
Issues to consider when choosing your grading option:
- Talk with your instructor about your progress in class and grades you've earned for previous assignments.
- Keep hard copies and a log of all your graded assignments, so you can assess your progress throughout the term.
- Before you start next term, make sure to check your grades from this term. Grades are posted one week after finals. Check your grades in MyPCC under the tab. If you have a grade discrepancy, be sure to talk with your instructor, an Academic Advisor or Counselor immediately.
- Make sure you know understand how a grading option will affect you. Some programs require letter grades, and at times selecting a NP option may do harm to your academic progress for Financial Aid or Veteran's benefits. Check with your Academic Advisor if you have questions about these issues.