Wimba Voice Tools
Student Help Desk | 971-722-8222 | Outside the Portland Area: 1-866-922-1010 ext. 8222 | email@example.com
What is Wimba?
Wimba Voice Tools is a collection of Java applets that allow you to record and play audio on web pages. PCC uses the following voice tools largely in support of ESOL and Language classes. Only faculty members are provided accounts. Students will gain access to Wimba via their instructors.
- Voice Board is a discussion tool that allows the combination of text and audio recordings in a forum tool.
- Voice Direct is a chat tool that allows for one person to speak at a time and many to chat via text.
- Voice Authoring is a tool that allows faculty and/or students to record snippets of audio.
- Voice Presentation is a tool that allows for narration of PowerPoint presentations.
- Voice Podcast is essentially the same as the voice authoring but allows for longer recordings and can publish RSS updates.
- Voice E-Mail lets you record a message and send it via e-mail to someone.
NOTE: Wimba is not currently working correctly with Windows 7.
- Make sure Java is up-to-date. Click here to check if you have the latest version of Java.
If you do not have the latest version of Java installed, click here to download the latest version.
Note: It is recommended that you uninstall the previous version of Java before installing the latest version.
- The error message "Audio Init Failed" can be caused by a number of issues. Here are the most common:
- The audio proxy tool is being blocked by client's firewall.
- No input device is detected (plug in a microphone)
- Java issues
- A pop-up blocker is blocking the program from working
- The computer is preventing the download/extraction of zip files.
- Add horizonwimba.com and/or wimba.com to the trusted sites and popup blocker.