Student Speaker Application
One graduating student will be chosen to deliver a brief inspirational speech at the Commencement Ceremony. The Selection Committee is looking for a student who has had personal and/or academic achievements while here at PCC. Topics could include: overcoming a personal, social, or economic barrier; support from faculty, classmates, or family; notable future plans, or anything that has assisted you in your achievements. Past speakers have talked about overcoming a drug habit, escaping a war-torn country, and a single parent who dealt with abuse and raising children all while attaining a degree. If you have an inspirational experience that you would like to share, please apply.
- The applicant must have received notification of completed degree/certificate requirements in fall 2013 or winter 2014 or received notification that requirements will be met at the end of spring 2014 or summer 2014.
- The applicant must have public speaking ability and should be able to use clear, expressive language and be able to hold the audience’s interest.
Applications must include:
- First and Last name
- PCC G number
- Current mailing address
- Phone number
- Email address
- The name of the PCC employee who will be writing your reference letter
- A written draft of your speech, no longer than 7 spoken minutes in length
- A reference letter from a PCC employee. The letter can be included as part of your application or can be send directly from the PCC employee.
Applications that are incomplete will not be considered. An interview may be requested by the Student Speaker Committee.
Students interested in competing for this honor must submit their application by Friday, April 11th, 2014. Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. The chosen student will receive a free cap & gown and a parking pass for the ceremony.