Past Events Facilitated by Disability Services
DisRepresentation: Reading into Disability
This free event takes place at the PCC Cascade campus with an online option for those who want to connect from afar.
- September 26, 2013
- August 22, 2013
- July 25, 2013
- June 27, 2013
- May 30, 2013
AIM Labs for Students in Fall 2013 term
Disability Services is working with students individually to ensure they know how to use the online accommodation management system. Any student who does not wish to leverage the online interface is still able to accomplish all the same tasks by coming in to meet with a staff person on campus. For students who do wish to use the system, but need extra practice and support, we have group lab sessions, drop in hours, or individual appointments. Contact us.
- Southeast - 9am to Noon for the first three weeks of the term
- Sylvania - 2pm to 4:00 on Mondays and Wednesdays and 9am to 11:00 Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Rock Creek - 1pm to 3:30 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- Cascade - 9am to 11:30 on Mondays and Thursdays
2013 Fall Inservice Events
- Sept 10 - New Faculty Institute
- Sept 16 - SAC Chairs and Friends
- Sept 17 - Sylvania In-Service
- Table Display
- Sept 17 - Rock Creek Inservice
- RC Division meeting: Math, Aviation, and Industrial Technology Division
- RC Part-Time Faculty
- Sept 18 - Faculty Department Chair Institute
- Breakout Session - Accessibility Guidelines for Online Courses
- Panel Discussion
- Sept 18 - Sylvania Part-Time Faculty
- Sept 21 - Cascade Part -Time Faculty
A Clear Standard for Access to Instruction
Inclusive Environments to Address Learning Differences
- Cascade Campus, Terrell Hall 112, Saturday, May 18, 9am – 4pm (with 1 hour lunch break)
- Instructors: Kari Hanken, Gabe Hunter-Bernstein
- 1-day (6-hour) class
- .6 ceu CEU 3348 CRN 29657
- Utilize knowledge of learning differences to meet student needs.
- Apply principles of universal design to maximize opportunities for students.
- Adapt presentations, classroom activities, assignments, and assessments to increase accessibility for students.
- Explore various instructional strategies to provide more access to content.
- Survey technologies and resources available at PCC to promote accessibility.
- Examine learning and processing disabilities and how they impact students in a learning environment.
- Analyze one’s own practice to determine where accessibility can be further developed.
- Investigate methods to create an atmosphere of approachability.
Disability History Exhibit during Art Beat
Art Beat Sylvania is proud to promote the Disability History Exhibit on display in the Upper CC Mall, May 6-10, all hours that the CC building is open.
The Disability History Exhibit is well worth seeing! Both educational and artistic, this 22-panel collage traces 3000 years of seldom-told history. From antiquity to the present, the collage takes viewers through an illustrated timeline that shows societies' attitudes and how they affect the lives of people with disabilities.
Spring Transition Events for High School students
Disability Services is inviting high school students and their parents to join us for Transition Information Nights. These events are designed to provide prospective students with a better sense of how to use accommodation in college. Please See our event flyer for details.
- Wednesday April 17 at 7pm at Sylvania in the CC Cedar Room
- Tuesday April 30 at 7pm at Rock Creek in Building 7 Room 105
- Friday May 3rd at 7pm at Cascade in Terrell Hall Room 112
BEAT Dance Performance
Bold Expressive Art Theatre (BEAT) is a group comprised of students of the Oregon State School for the Deaf. They will be offering a performance (free of charge and open to the community) on April 29th at the Sylvania Little Theater at 7pm.
See the event flyer for details
Online Accommodation System Open Labs for students
- Monday April 15 at 9am at CA in SSB 201
- Monday April 15 at 2pm at RC in 5-123
- Tuesday April 16 at 10am at SE in Tabor 108
- Wednesday April 17 at 11am at SY in the Pine Room
- Tuesday April 23 at 2pm at RC in 5-123
- Tuesday April 23 at 2pm at SY in the Pine Room
- Tuesday April 23 at 4pm at CA in SSB 201
- Wednesday April 24 at 11am at SE in Tabor 108
Online Accommodation System Open Houses for faculty
Disability Services is rolling out a new Online Accommodation Management system! Open House sessions were offered to help faculty learn more about email notifications and accommodated exam process changes.
- Wednesday March 20 10am at SE Center in Tabor 117
- Wednesday March 20 12pm at SY in the TLC
- Thursday March 21 at 10am at RC in the TLC
- Thursday March 21 at 2pm at CA in the TLC
- Friday April 5 at 10am at CA in the TLC (SSB 208)
- Friday April 5 10am at SY in the TLC (CC 222-3)
- Friday April 5 at 3pm at RC in the TLC (3 - 102)
- Friday April 5 3pm at SE Center in Tabor 111
- Wednesday April 10 at 3pm at CA in the TLC (SSB 208)
- Friday April 12 at 9am at SE in Tabor 137
- Friday April 12 at 12pm at RC in the TLC (3-102)
- Tuesday April 16 at 2pm at SY in the TLC (CC 222-3)
ASL Interpreter Available at SY events on April 5th and 16th
Featuring "Friending with Brain Injury!" by Cheryl Green and other short comedy films - Event Flyer
Friday, November 16, 2012 from 7:00 - 8:30pm in Terrell Hall, Room 112 on the Cascade Campus
- Networking Opportunities
- Chance to participate in National Workforce Recruitment Program
- Resume Help and PCC Courses
- Night for Networking - A free event on October 16 at OHSU
- Celebrate Ability - A free event on October 23 at the Lloyd Center Double Tree Hotel
- Workforce Recruitment Program - Interviews by a federal recruiter on November 6 at PCC
Fall 2012 In-Service Activities for Staff and Faculty
Disability Services offered a series of back to back sessions that featured two different Accessibility related topics. Print off our flyer with Fall '12 dates and locations.
The first hour focused Accommodation and Universal Design, hitting important policy and practice updates.
The second hour focused on Adaptive Technology, highlighting the tools and techniques that are available for use across the district.
Disability Services also presented sessions within a variety of other existing in-service events including New Faculty Institute, Campus Specific Inservices, and more!
August 11, 2012 - Disability Arts and Culture Listening Session
Disability Arts and Culture Project listening session on the PCC Cascade campus
August 11 from 2:30 to 4:30 in Terrell Hall Room 112.
The event included discussion about how best to promote inclusive performance opportunities and social justice through the arts. All were welcome to this free event. For more details visit http://dacphome.org
May 25, 2012 - Math Accessibility session for faculty
Haris Gunadi from Oregon State University came to PCC to share information and best practices on the creation of accessible math content. Topics covered included LaTEX, MathML, Nemeth, and Tactile Graphics.