Flexible online services
Disability Services provides a Faculty Login option
What faculty need to know:
- Look in your email for important notifications. Information that is sent via email, can also be accessed online using the faculty login to access the instructor dashboard. The most up to date information is always available on the instructor dashboard (login with existing MyPCC credentials).
- Complete the Testing Agreement form - This is a brief online form that must be completed if you wish to have the testing center proctor on your behalf. The testing agreement forms can be completed either through the emailed links, or via the instructor dashboard.
- Consider uploading your syllabus - this can assist DS personnel in terms of having a better understanding of course policies, deadlines, and activities.
Disability Services is available to work with students or employees individually to ensure they know how to use the accommodation management system. Any student who does not wish to leverage the online interface is still able to accomplish all the same tasks by coming in to meet with a counselor. For students who wish to use the system, but want extra practice and support with the system, we have group lab sessions, drop in hours, or individual appointments.
Faculty members are encouraged to login, but at a minimum, must check their PCC email for important communications from Disability Services. Faculty will also need to provide information to the testing centers if assistance is needed in proctoring exams, or to DS if coordination is required to ensure equal access. There is a page for faculty that provides step by step instructions available in spaces.
Our accommodation management system provides user accounts for:
- Disability Services personnel
- Testing Center personnel
- Students who use accommodation
- Students who are serving as peer notetakers
- Instructional Faculty with accommodation requests in courses they are teaching
- See our two page handout for a synopsis of the justification for changing from the hard copy system, with articulation of alignment with the Panther Path student success model.
- DS Handout regarding the launch of the instructor dashboard
I haven't received an email notification but one of my students said it was sent, what does this mean?
Most likely it means the notification was caught by the spam filter. We are working to reduce this potential, but encourage faculty to actively check their quarantined and spam folder filtered mail. If you have looked there and still don't find the notice, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will investigate. Remember too that you can login to our accommodation system directly to view all active requests, and students can also login to the system and print off copies of the notification.
I received a notification, but the student hasn't connected with me yet, don't they have to?
Ideally, each student who chooses to actively provide formal notification of accommodation will connect with his or her instructors to make sure the adjustments needed will be put in place in an effective manner. We emphasize the need for students and faculty to communicate effectively in all of our conversations, and this information is also outlined on the AAA form. If you are concerned about a student who is not communicating with you directly, but who has initiated notification, please feel free to contact DS. Also, an example of a technique that many faculty choose to practice, is to send an email to the student after receiving the formal notification, inviting the student to office hours. We appreciate when faculty create a climate in which students are encouraged to engage, and will do our best to reinforce what students need to understand to be successful.
I received a notification but plan to proctor my own exams, do I need to fill out the testing contract?
No, the testing contract is just for situations in which the testing center is asked to proctor on behalf of faculty.
I received a notification but all my exams are through D2L, do I need to fill out the testing contract?
No, the testing contract is just for situations in which the testing center is asked to proctor on behalf of faculty. Contact Andy Freed with questions about how adjust exam parameters in D2L.
I received notification and there were multiple options for the testing adjustments, both 1.5 and 2 times for the extended time adjustment. Which do I go by?
Students who are eligible for extended time are eligible to use the maximum that is approved, but we also list the lower level adjustments so that students can indicate which of the available time extensions he or she wishes to use on each individual exam.
I received notification that a student was eligible for alternative testing with extended time but I give students take home exams that are not timed, just due by a specific date. If I give all students 2 weeks to complete the exam, would I need to give 4 weeks to a student eligible for double time?
Students who are eligible for extended time are eligible for adjustments to timed assessments. For projects, exams,or written work that is completed outside of classtime, these extended time eligibilities do not apply. Please note that for some students, there may be separate eligibility for consideration of deadline adjustments which requires full consideration on a case-by-case basis.