Moving from a paper based approach to more flexible online services
Disability Services is excited to announce our Faculty Login option - new Fall 2015
What faculty need to know:
- Look in your email for important notifications and use the Faculty Login to verify active requests - the Approved Academic Accommodation letters are sent to instructors through PCC email, as are the testing center reminders. The most up to date information is also available on the instructor dashboard (login with existing MyPCC credentials).
- Complete the Testing Contract - This is a brief online form that must be completed if you wish to have the testing center proctor on your behalf.
- Ask Questions - we are here to help, and welcome questions, comments, etc.
Our new accommodation management system provides user accounts for:
- Disability Services
- Testing Centers
- Students who use accommodation
- Instructional Faculty with accommodation requests in courses they are teaching
Faculty members don’t need to login, but will need to check their PCC email for important communications from Disability Services, and will need to provide information to the testing centers if assistance is needed in proctoring exams.
Online Accommodation System Open Houses for faculty
Disability Services holds Faculty Open House sessions to learn more about email notifications and accommodated exam process changes. Check our calendar for opportunities to connect, or contact one of our Office Assistants to schedule a time to learn more.
AIM Labs for Students
Disability Services is working with students individually to ensure they know how to use the new accommodation management system. Any student who does not wish to leverage the online interface is still able to accomplish all the same tasks by coming in to meet with a counselor. For students who wish to use the system, but want extra practice and support with the system, we have group lab sessions, drop in hours, or individual appointments.
Sample Faculty Notification Letters
We have samples of notification letters that can be reviewed for context. Remember that eligibility is determined and notification letters are generated on an individualized basis.
- AAA for student who is eligible for captioned media and TypeWell transcribing as well as access to handouts and overheads or presentation slides in advance
- AAA for student who is eligible for alternative formats and has some liaison services for technology use as well as use of a Personal Care Attendant
- AAA for student who is eligible for notetaking assistance and testing accommodation
The testing centers can proctor accommodated exams on behalf of faculty, but only if they have the appropriate information needed to do so. It is imperative that the brief online testing contract be completed promptly if faculty wish to have the Testing Centers assist with proctoring.
I haven't received an email notification but one of my students said it was sent, what does this mean?
Most likely it means the notification was caught by the spam filter. We are working to reduce this potential, but encourage faculty to actively check their quarantined and spam folder filtered mail. If you have looked there and still don't find the notice, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will investigate. Remember too that you can login to our accommodation system directly to view all active requests, and students can also login to the system and print off copies of the notification.
I received a notification, but the student hasn't connected with me yet, don't they have to?
Ideally, each student who provides formal notification of accommodation will connect with his or her instructors to make sure the adjustments needed will be put in place in an effective manner. We emphasize the need for students and faculty to communicate effectively in all of our conversations, and this information is also outlined on the AAA form. If you are concerned about a student who is not communicating with you directly, but who has initiated notification, please feel free to contact DS. Our practitioners can spend some extra time with that student working on self-advocacy skills. Also, an example of a technique that many faculty choose to practice, is to send a note to the student after receiving the formal notification, inviting the student to office hours. We appreciate when faculty create a climate in which students are encouraged to engage, and will do our best to reinforce what students need to understand to be successful.
I received a notification but plan to proctor my own exams, do I need to fill out the testing contract?
No, the testing contract is just for situations in which the testing center is asked to proctor on behalf of faculty.
I received a notification but all my exams are through D2L, do I need to fill out the testing contract?
No, the testing contract is just for situations in which the testing center is asked to proctor on behalf of faculty. Contact Andy Freed with questions about how adjust exam parameters in D2L.
I received notification and there were multiple options for the testing adjustments, both 1.5 and 2 times for the extended time adjustment. Which do I go by?