The purpose of this session is to explore a variety of challenges that can adversely affect students’ abilities to attain their goals. Emphasis is placed upon gaining awareness of potentially negative influences and strategies for addressing them in positive, proactive ways. Topics will depend on the interests and needs of the participants as well as the resources available in each community. To varying degrees, this session will enable students to:
- Explore risk factors and how they can be avoided.
- Explore mediation and conflict resolution strategies
- Practice skills for appropriate interaction with law enforcement officials.
- Discuss mental health concerns.
- Consider issues of auto safety.
- Discuss personal finance concerns.
- Focus on the importance of education and completing high school.
Objectives and Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- Identify strategies to diffuse conflict.
- Learn strategies for dealing with peer pressure.
- Access site specific resources in: skills for appropriate interaction with law enforcement, personal finance, auto safety, mental health, staying in school.
- List four risk factors and how can be avoided (drugs, violence, sex, crime)
- List community resources available to help them with problems.