The purpose of this session is to increase students awareness of the impact media has on their self esteem and identity. Often, teenagers become self-conscious and anxious about their body image and try to fit in according to the images promoted in the mass media. Often this results in a loss of self-esteem and can create life threatening issues such as anorexia, bulimia and in some cases suicide. During this session, we explore ways to live a healthier life based on our own needs and expectations.
Objectives and Outcomes
In this session, students will:
- View videos on how beauty is portrayed in our society and the impact it has on our lives.
- Not be allowed to wear make-up, jewelry, hats, gels, and hairspray.
- Be asked to wear blue jeans and white t-shirts.
- Be separated in groups of girls and boys for a portion of the session to share experiences and explore body image issues in a safe, non-judgmental environment.
- Explore risk factors of eating disorders and how they can be avoided.
- Receive resource information regarding their body image and health.