Sylvania SS 215 | 971-722-4419 | FAX: 971-722-4959
PCC Rock Creek Learning Garden
Visit the organization web site: www.pcc.edu/RCLearningGarden
- What We Do
Sowing Seeds, Growing Minds, Cultivating Community: The Learning Garden is 3.6 acres that includes 48 raised beds, 1 acre of vegetables & flowers, a cob tool shed with solar powered irrigation, an earthen oven with a green roof, a fruit orchard, berries and public art pieces throughout. All are invited to volunteer & in return earn $5/hour in Volunteer Rewards redeemable at our market, Portlandia FarmStandia - open every Tuesday.
- Opportunities for service with us
Whether you are interested in business, ecology, construction, marketing, art, sustainability, or wellness, we have a place for you at the Learning Garden. The garden provides experientail education and life-long learning opportunites. We always have a diverse array of projects in which community based learners and volunteers can engage. Current projects include:
- spring plantings
- harvesting vegetables
- Portlandia Farm Standia (our weekly farm stand on campus)
- worm nursery
- bee hives
- constructing an informational kiosk for the garden entrance
- writing business plans
- developing marketing materials
- running our farm stand
- installing a grape and berry patch and trellises
- systems in campus greenhouses to grow food year-round (hydroponics and hoop house growing)
No experience is required to participate at the garden. We have a crew of students who volunteer rain or shine throughout the year. The Garden is open on a continuous basis for community-based learning students and others. Depending on your interest and needs, we welcome help for anywhere from one afternoon to many months at a time. Still not sure if we are the right fit for you? Contact us and we’ll be happy to speak over the phone or in-person about the details, and we can also give you a tour of our space.
We work hard and play hard. We often host garden potlucks, bake in the earthen oven, and have themed work parties. Our team is supportive and will help you learn and grow your skills.
- Preferred way to contact:
- Bus Service
- Take the MAX blue line (Hillsboro) to 185th Willow Creek Station then board the 52 bus going to PCC Rock Creek Campus.