Service-Learning Focus Award
Sylvania CC 221 | 503-977-4419 | FAX: 503-977-8129
Service-learning combines course learning objectives, community service, and reflection thus allowing students to gain a better understanding of course material; get to know their communities; explore values and ethics; develop civic engagement and leadership skills; learn about diverse cultures and lifestyles; and appreciate their ability to make a difference by participating in community problem solving.
The Service-Learning Program at Portland Community College recognizes students for their service-learning efforts in their courses and communities. In addition to gaining valuable academic and work skills, students who receive the Service-Learning Focus Award receive a signed certificate, college recognition, and the benefit of including the award on scholarship applications and resumes.
To be eligible for the Service-Learning Focus Award:
- Students must complete a minimum of 3 service-learning courses. (cooperative education credits can be used for one of these courses)
- Only formal class-based service-learning efforts qualify for this award. (paid internships and basic volunteerism do not count)
- Courses and hours must be logged and signed off by the faculty members.
To apply, students must:
- Contact the Service-Learning Office to let them know you intend to apply for the award.
- Complete the Service-Learning Focus Award Application form
- Applications must be received by Monday, April 29, 2013
Mail, fax, or deliver the application to the PCC Service-Learning Office:
SY SS 215
PO Box 19000
Portland, OR 97280-0990
For more information, contact Joshua Liebschutz, Service-Learning Program Coordinator.