Community-Based Learning Excellence Award
Sylvania CC 221 | 503-977-4419 | FAX: 503-977-8129
Community-based learning combines course learning objectives, community engagement, and reflection thus allowing students to gain a better understanding of course material; get to know their communities; explore values and ethics; develop civic engagement and leadership skills; learn about diverse cultures and lifestyles; and appreciate their ability to make a difference by participating in community problem solving.
The Community-Based Learning Program at Portland Community College recognizes students for their community-based learning efforts in their courses and communities. In addition to gaining valuable academic and work skills, students who receive the Community-Based Learning Excellence Award receive a signed certificate, college recognition, and the benefit of including the award on scholarship applications and resumes.
To be eligible for the Community-Based Learning Excellence Award:
- Students must complete a community-based learning assignment for a PCC class.
- Only formal class-based community-based learnig efforts qualify for this award. (paid internships and basic volunteerism do not count)
To apply, students must:
- Contact the Service-Learning Office to let them know you intend to apply for the award.
- Complete the Community-Based Learning Excellence Award Application form
- Applications must be received by May 1st of each year.
Mail, fax, or deliver the application to the PCC Community-Based Learning Office:
Community-Based Learning Program
SY SS 215, B13
PO Box 19000
Portland, OR 97280-0990
For more information, contact Joshua Liebschutz, Community-Based Learning Program Coordinator.