Community-Based Learning combines course learning objectives, community service, and reflection thus allowing students to gain a better understanding of course material; get to know their communities; explore values and ethics; develop civic engagement and leadership skills; learn about diverse cultures and lifestyles; and appreciate their ability to make a difference by participating in community problem solving.
The Community-Based Learning Program at Portland Community College recognizes students for their community-based learning efforts in their courses and communities. In addition to gaining valuable academic and work skills, students who receive the Community Engagement Award receive a signed certificate, college recognition, and the benefit of including the award on scholarship applications and resumes.
To be eligible for the Community Engagement Award:
- Students must complete a Community-Based Learning assignment during the most recent academic year.
- Only formal class-based Community-Based Learning efforts qualify for this award. (paid internships and basic volunteerism do not count).
To apply, students must:
- Complete the Community Engagement Award Application form.
- Send completed applications to the Community-Based Learning Office (see below for contact information)
- Applications must be received by the 5th week of Spring Term of each year.
Mail, fax, or deliver the application to the PCC Community-Based Learning Office:
Community-Based Learning Program
SY CC 210
PO Box 19000
Portland, OR 97280-0990
or send your scanned application by email to the Community-Based Learning Program Coordinator.
For more information the Community-Based Learning Program Coordinator.