Sylvania SS 215 | 971-722-4419 | FAX: 971-722-8129
America Reads Work-Study Mentor Position Description
America Reads is a national campaign to help all children learn to read well and independently by the end of elementary school. Nationwide, there are approximately 1200 colleges and universities who participate in America Reads.
At Portland Community College, America Reads Work-Study Mentors earn their work-study funds by working at designated elementary schools throughout the tri-county region. Mentors provide reading and academic support through various activities, which include: reading with students one-on-one or in small groups, engaging students in literacy and math-based academic activities, and performing other classroom duties as assigned.
- Assist K-3 students in the development and enjoyment of reading skills.
- Engage students in academic activities, either one-on-one or with small groups.
- Collaborate with program supervisors, school administrators, and school teachers & staff members to assess students’ needs and how best to address them.
- Financial Aid and Work-Study eligible
- Ability to pass a Criminal Record Background Check
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for academics, especially reading, writing, and/or math
- Experience and/or clear interest in working with school-age children
- Ability to work well with school staff and administrators, as well as K-3 students
- Willingness to work as a team member and support the mission/goals of the host site
- Ability to commit to a regular schedule (flexible hours, but consistent schedule is required)
- Preference given for a full year commitment, as relationships are the focus.
- Ability to relate to kids, ability to laugh. Need to make a difference is strongly suggested.
Community-Based Work-Study pays $12/hour.
Available Position Locations
SUN Schools: Portland (East)
- Buckman Elementary
- Creston (K-8)
- Harrison Park (K-8)
- Harvey Scot (K-8)
- Kelly Elementary
- Franklin Campus (9-12)
- Marysville School (K-8)
- Whitman Elementary
- Woodmere Elementary
- Bridger Elementary
- Centennial High School
SHINE Schools: Portland/Beaverton (west)
William Walker Elementary
Beaver Acres Elementary
Application Process & Timeline
- Fill out an application and submit to the Office of Community-Based Learning.
- If your application is approved and accepted by the Office of Community-Based Learning, we will forward it to the school location of your choice and you will be interviewed by the school.
- Upon approval from the school, you will be asked to complete and pass a criminal record background check.
- Once your criminal record check is complete and there are no red flags, you will be asked to set up a schedule with our school site and begin your work-study hours.
- Complete I-9 and W-4 documentation.
- Refer to the work-study guidelines established by the College.
- Fill out your PCC America Reads Time log and have your site supervisor sign each day that you are at your work site.
- Report your hours after each shift by entering them online (a link will be provided once hired). The hours on your time log should match what you enter.
- Email your PCC America Reads Time log to the Office of Community-Based Learning. Please keep copies for your own personal records.