Vice President Academic and Student Affairs
Template Design: Jim Johnstone, Curriculum Support Services
Welcome to the start of Academic Year 2006/07!! I thought that these statistics and facts might be of interest to you as you prepare to meet our students. Another communication will follow shortly providing you with up-to-date information about what is happening in Academic and Student Affairs at PCC.
Did You Know:
- PCC students are more diverse than our communities
- 40% of PCC’s credit FTE represent students who are attending for the very first time
- Approximately 20% of our credit students enroll in combined DL and campus courses or DL courses only
- There are 23,000 (Winter 2006) credit students and the average age is 29 years old
- Lower Division Transfer enrollments make up 58% of PCC’s credit FTE
- Professional Technical Program enrollments make up 30% of PCC’s credit FTE
- There are 18,000 (Fall 2005) noncredit students
- The average age of ABE, GED, ESL students is 32 years old
- The average age of Community/Continuing Education students is 43 years old
- In 2020, our community will grow to an approximate population of 2,050,000 residents
22% of that 2020 population (369,000) will be new residents
- In 2020, almost 400,000 residents will have no memory of life and work “before the Internet”
For more information, check out Institutional Effectiveness’ web page www.pcc.edu/ir/
Every Fall Semester, Beloit College publishes a Mindset List of incoming freshmen. It is a wonderful tool to remind ourselves that our younger students have very different references and benchmarks to base their lives around. The following are a few items from that list for the incoming freshman – Class of 2009 – born in 1987. For a more complete list – go to www.beloit.edu/mindset/
- Al-Qaida has always existed with Osama bin Laden at its head.
- The Starship Enterprise has always looked dated.
- American Motors has never existed.
- “Baby M” could be a classmate.
- Libraries have always been the best centers for computer technology and access to good software.
- Researchers have always been looking for stem cells.
- They never saw the shuttle Challenger fly.
- Tom Landry never coached the Cowboys.
- “Whatever” is not part of a question but an expression of sullen rebuke.
- They have always been challenged to distinguish between news and entertainment.
My favorites from the Mindset List in years past:
- Don’t tell them that they sound like a broken record – they probably have never heard one….and…..
- They have never lost anything in shag carpeting!!!!!
Finally, a few from PCC’s Academic and Student Affairs (everyone has to get into this game):
- They think the Rolling Stones write commercial jingles.
- There has always been 78 TV channels to choose from.
- Innagodadivida has always been elevator music.
- College registration has always been on-line.
Thanks Laura Massey, Kristen Watkins, Shannan McGaha, and Rick Aman!!
Look for more “Lessons from the Edge” in the months to come