Degrees and Certificates Committee
March 10, 2003, Sylvania Campus, 4-5pm, CT219
Present: Susanne Christopher, Pat Lewis, Lucinda Eshelmann, Bob Ewing, Tony Zable, Dave Stout
Guest: Christyn Dundorf
- Susanne called the committee to order at 4 pm to evaluate the Program Revision Proposal for ECE certificate (in place of former Level I and Level II certificates).
- Motion to recommend approval of the proposed certificate revisions passed unanimously.
- We discussed AAOT requirements that have been listed as A and B list. Our discussion was wide ranging, and we asked many important questions. We decided on the following approach to the problem. First, we would try to agree upon a set of criteria, based on current standard practice, courses meet in order to be placed on the A list and the B list. Second, we would pose a series of questions to our friends on the EAC committee to try to answer the question of whether or not we should continue to even have an A list and a B list.
- Susanne will write up a summary of the history of A&B lists, based largely on Dale Edmonds’ e-mail.
- Criteria (based on current standard practice)
- a numerical sequence of courses
- a common theoretical and historical base
- courses must be transferable
- "in-depth" (or perhaps somewhat comprehensive) survey of the subject.
- a stand-alone course
- based more on skills development than on theory
- courses must be transferable.
The committee is drafting a series of questions for the EAC to discuss concerning this issue.
Susanne adjourned the meeting at 5:15 pm, after setting the next meeting for April 14, 3:30-5pm in CT 219 conference room.