Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon

If you are planning to transfer to a four-year institution, here are the recommended steps to make the transition easier for you. This planner reflects an approximate time frame for students who plan on transferring as a junior. Remember that planning ahead helps eliminate surprises and creates a successful transfer!

Freshman Standing (0-18 transferable credits completed)

  • After taking a placement test, meet with an advisor to discuss your basic skills in writing, reading and math. Discuss your option of either completing a PCC associate's degree before transferring or transferring your credits without earning a PCC degree.
  • Begin to research four-year colleges. Factors such as location, majors offered, reputation, public vs. private, cost and financial aid, should all be considered. The Transfer Centers and Career Centers have many resources to help you research colleges.
  • If you have decided on a major, pick up transfer guides for your major at a PCC campus or view the Transfer Guide on this web site. The Transfer Guide will tell you which courses you may want to take at PCC before you transfer. Along with your major requirements, you will also need to fulfill general education and Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, or Bachelor of Music requirements; many of which can be completed at PCC. Please be aware that requirements vary among the different colleges and universities. If you do not find a Transfer Guide for your major, work with your PCC advisor to develop a transfer plan.

Freshman Standing (19-44 transferable credits completed)

  • For those students who are still undecided, it is recommended that you contact staff in the Counseling department and Career Center who are trained to know which majors are best suited for the type of work you want to do. You may also consider taking a career guidance class.
  • If you are working towards an associate degree at PCC, meet with an academic advisor to review the required classes you'll need to graduate on time. You can also view your GRAD Plan in MyPCC.
  • Develop a list of your potential universities.
  • Attend the annual College Transfer Fair held at Rock Creek, Cascade, Southeast, and Sylvania Campuses during winter term.
  • If you plan to transfer to PSU, OSU, OIT, Pacific University, Linfield College, or Concordia University discuss Dual Enrollment options with your advisor.
  • Meet with four-year university representatives to discuss your future transfer plans. Many local universities visit the PCC campuses through the year and the schedule of visits can be found on the University Visits webpage.
  • Begin to visit four-year colleges and universities. Every college campus is different. Make sure you choose a school that feels right to you.

Sophomore Standing (45-74 transferable credits completed

  • Get connected to the college or university to which you plan to transfer. Contact their advisors early, even before you apply for admission. You may want to contact your major department to address any questions you have that pertain specifically to the departmental requirements.
  • Begin to complete applications to four-year schools. Make sure you have finished the minimum eligibility requirements to transfer. Be aware of deadlines!
  • Research financial aid and scholarship opportunities. One of the best ways to receive scholarship and financial aid information is through the internet.
  • Begin to apply for scholarships by February 1.
  • If applying for financial aid, you can obtain your university's code from the FAFSA website. Apply in January.
  • Petition for PCC graduation. Apply by mid April if you would like to participate in the ceremony.

Sophomore Standing (75-89 transferable credits completed)

  • Continue to apply for scholarships. Again, be aware of deadlines!
  • Complete applications if you have not already done so. Make sure you have finished the minimum eligibility requirements for transfer before the application deadlines.
  • Order your official PCC transcript to be sent to the four-year colleges you may attend. It is a good idea to keep an official and unofficial copy on hand for possible future use. If you are dually enrolled, your transcript is sent electronically each term.