Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon

Click on a question below to get the answer.

Which PCC courses transfer?

Because PCC is accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, the majority of our 100 & 200 level general education classes will transfer to a four-year institution. For a list of PCC transferable classes, refer to the PCC catalog. We also recommend that you check with the college you plan to transfer to, as courses may not be exactly the same when you transfer from school to school.

How many credits does it take to transfer?

It takes approximately 36 quarter credits (or 24 semester credits) of 100 or 200 level courses to transfer to a university under Transfer Admission guidelines. Contact your university for their specific transfer credit requirement.

If you would like to transfer with junior status, transfer with 90 quarter credits (or 60 semester credits).

How many credits can I take at the community college?

Up to 124 credits from an accredited community college may be applied to a bachelor's degree at Oregon’s state universities, however, we highly recommend that you see an advisor to discuss your specific situation. Some institutions and some departments review units differently once a student has attended a four-year institution.

Is there a minimum grade point average to transfer?

The minimum grade point average required to be eligible for transfer to a four-year university varies. For example, the minimum grade point average (GPA) needed to be eligible for PSU is 2.00; the minimum grade point average needed to be eligible for OSU is 2.25.

If you are applying to a competitive major that requires a departmental application, e.g. business school, the GPA for admission to this major may be higher than the college admission GPA. Check with your transferring institution's department for specific requirements.

What is General Education?

General Education (GE) usually consists of a set number of classes in the subject areas of Arts and Letters, Social Science, and Math and Science. Each school has different requirements and a minimum number of credits needed to complete GE.

Each school has a unique name for their general education. For example, Oregon State University calls their general education classes, Baccalaureate Core. Portland State calls theirs University Studies, and University of Oregon calls theirs Group Requirements.

What are the differences between an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree?

An associate's degree is earned at a community college and a bachelor's degree is earned at a university.

The associate's degree consists of approximately two years of 90+ credits. A bachelor's degree consists of approximately four years of 180+ credits. Some associate's and bachelor's degrees require more. Credit hours are based upon quarters not semesters.

Do I need an associate degree to transfer?

No. You need to meet the minimum admission requirements for the college/university that you plan to attend. This may include college level competency in math and writing for some colleges. Even though completing an associate's degree before transferring is not an admissions requirement to the university, it may benefit you to do so. Discuss this option with an advisor.

What is the difference between a major and a minor?

A major is a primary focus of study and a minor is a secondary focus of study. For example, you could major in Business and minor in Spanish.

Majors are typically chosen to complement a student’s career goal, and a minor may be chosen to enhance the major.

Both majors and minors are awarded by four-year institutions.

Where can I find out what classes to take for my major?

PCC has developed Transfer Guides for various majors at many of Oregon's four-year public and private universities. These Guides include a list of lower division requirements for your major, some of which you can take at PCC.

If your transfer university is not located in Oregon, or if PCC does not have information about your school, please refer to that college's website or contact the college directly for information.

Do I need to declare a major before I transfer?

You do not need to declare a major before you transfer, but as soon as you have reached junior status at your university, you must declare a major.

If you know what your major is before you transfer, it is recommended that you start appropriate coursework while at PCC.

Where do I go for help with choosing a major?

Career and/or major counseling is available through the Counseling Centers at each of the PCC Campuses (Cascade, Rock Creek, Southeast, and Sylvania).

How do I find out about transfer requirements for my school?

There are many resources available to assist you. You can:

  1. Visit the university in which you are interested. Many universities have Preview Days and may also accommodate you on an individual basis.
  2. For Oregon schools, refer to the Admission Policy
  3. Refer to the Transfer Guides at your PCC campus.
  4. Attend the Transfer College Fair that takes place on the PCC campuses each year during winter term. It provides students with a wonderful opportunity to meet with representatives from many Oregon universities.
  5. Visit the Career Center at PCC's campuses.

What is the difference between a quarter and a semester?

All of the public colleges and universities in Oregon are on the quarter system. Most private and out-of-state public institutions are on the semester system. An academic year at a quarter school is comprised of 3 terms: fall, winter, and spring, each lasting 11-12 weeks in length. An academic year at a semester school would consist of 2 semesters: fall and spring, each semester lasting approximately 15 weeks or 4-5 months. Most colleges also have a summer session of varying length.

How can I meet with a university representative?

Representatives from many four-year universities visit the PCC campuses on a regular basis each term. To meet with them, contact either the Advising Center or the Transfer Center at your campus. The visits are also posted on this site. Click on University Visits on the gray bar on the right side of the page.