Ophthalmic Medical Technology Admissions: Step 5
Complete prerequesite classes
The following prerequisite classes are available at Portland Community College. If you believe you have met the core requirements of any of these classes at other colleges, please contact the Allied Health Admissions Advisor – at firstname.lastname@example.org to have your transcripts “unofficially” evaluated to determine completion of requirements. Your classwork may need to be evaluated by the Department Chair as well, before you will be advised on whether your previous coursework meets PCC class requirements.
- WR 121 - English Composition
- MP 111 - Medical Terminology
- MTH 65 - Introductory Algebra, 2nd term or higher math
- BI 121 - Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology, 1st term (will also accept BI 231-232)
- BI 122 - Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology, 2nd term (will also accept BI 233)
ALSO RECOMMENDED – CAS 133- Basic Computer Skills and/or CAS 121 – Computerized Keyboarding – Applicants should type 35 wpm to begin the program.
All prerequisite classes must be passed with a grade 'C' or above.
Receiving admission points
- For information on prerequisites, the point system and classes that can be taken prior to admission, see the Advising Guide.
- Applicants will be ranked in order of points and time of application, so it is to your advantage to get your application in early in case your points put you at the cutoff for admission. Often an applicant has the same points as an applicant entering the program, but will miss the opportunity to join the program because of a late application.
- See the Ophthalmic Medical Technology Application for more information on the Essays and Supplemental Questions (see step 6). The Application will be available by November 2015.
- If you are taking classes at a college other than Portland Community College you will need to provide an official copy of your grade within a week of it being posted to receive points.