Before entry into the program, students must:
- Possess a High School diploma or GED.
- Successfully complete:
- Biology 121 - Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- Writing 121 – English Composition
- Math 65 – Introductory Algebra – second term
- MP 111 - Medical Terminology
- Show two written recommendations from instructors, employers, or counselors. Please use the Statements of Recommendation form provided.
- Have familiarity and general proficiency with software for office, Internet, email, and possess the technical standards required in order to complete the course curriculum.
- Arrange an advising session with the OMT program advisor.
While in the program, students must:
- Complete a Criminal Background Check prior to clinical rotation placement.
- Maintain a "C" average letter grade and complete all coursework.
- Have transportation to and from regional facilities: the clinical rotation site.
The PCC OMT program begins only in the fall quarter. It takes two academic years to complete. You can expect to take courses in basic human anatomy and physiology, ocular anatomy, pathophysiology, and psychology/human relations. A minimum of 93 credits are required to earn an Associate of Applied Science in Ophthalmic Medical Technology.
The OMT program is full for fall 2013, please check back in August for the new applications and application dates for the fall 2014 program. To apply for the OMT program, please complete the following steps:
- Apply to Portland Community College.
- Applications are no longer being accepted for the fall 2013 program. Please check back in August for the new application and application dates for the fall 2014 program. Students who have previously applied must complete a new application to be considered for the fall 2014 program.
- You must either take the required College Placement Tests, or provide previous college transcripts to an advisor. See the catalog for score requirements for the College Placement Test. Contact the division’s admissions specialist Karen Henry or Advisor Merry Boyd-Bunch for questions regarding previous coursework.
- Obtain two statements of recommendation from recent employers, instructors or counselors. For students who have previously applied you must complete new statements of recommendation if they are more than one year old.
- Submit Cascade Campus Allied Health Application and recommendations to:
Portland Community College
Allied Health Admissions, CA TEB 201
705 N. Killingsworth St.
Portland, OR 97217
Students will receive provisional acceptance into the Ophthalmic Medical Technology Program by meeting the prerequisite requirements and demonstrating satisfactory English language ability through a written and oral interview assessment. The written and oral assessment will be administered at the program orientation session.
Upon acceptance into the program, students must have documentation of the following prior to the beginning of spring term:
- Satisfactory physical examination
- Mantoux test
- Evidence of immunity to measles
- Evidence of initiating the immunization series for Hepatitis B or sign a waiver declining immunization
If you have any questions or need further instruction, please contact the Program Support Specialist at 971-722-5667.
Applicants who qualify after the initial 24 students have been selected are placed on an alternate list. Often, many alternates are eventually selected for the program. Qualified alternates are accepted if positions in the class become available in the order their applications are received. The Ophthalmic Medical Technology Program is a closed program with limited enrollment.
These costs are approximate and based on current academic year figures.
|Tuition, Lab, and Fees||See Tuition and Fees|
|Books||$1100 the first year, $400 the second|
|Criminal Background Check||$51|
|Professional Association Dues||Optional $20/year student rate to Association of Technical Personnel in Ophthalmology (ATPO).|
|Certification Exam||$325 (includes written exam & subsequent skill evaluation)|
|Graduation Application Fee||See Graduation website.|