Medical Laboratory Technology Admissions: Step 5
Complete prerequesite classes
The following prerequisite classes are available at Portland Community College. If you believe you have met the core requirements of any of these classes at other colleges, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have your transcripts "unofficially" evaluated to determine completion of requirements. Your classwork may need to be evaluated by the Department Chair as well, before you will be advised on whether your previous coursework meets PCC class requirements.
- Ready for WR 121
- MTH 95 - Intermediate Algebra
- Biology - College level class
- Chemistry - College level class
All prerequisite classes must be passed with a grade 'C' or above.
Receiving admission points
- For information on other classes you can take prior to entry into the program and those that receive admission points see the prerequisite worksheet
- Students will be ranked in order of points and time of application, so it is to your advantage to get your application in early in case your points put you at the cutoff for admission. Often a student has the same points as a student entering the program, but will miss the opportunity to join the program because of a late application.
- See the MLT packet (see step 6), for more information on the Admissions process, including the Program Experience Questions and Recommendation forms including grading rubrics.
The following indicates what will be used for points for admission. The total points possible is 40 points. Applicants with the most points will be invited into the program, and other applicants will be placed on an alternate list is the order of points and time of application.
Prerequisite Classes (4 points for As, 3 for Bs, 2 for Cs, 12 points max.)
Supplemental Experience Questions - Program and Volunteer (0 - 3 points each, 12 points max.)
Supplemental Experience Question - Experience working in the Public Sector (1 pt max)
Two Recommendation Forms (1 pt (3.0-4.4 average) 2 pts (4.5-5.0 average), 4 pts max)
Prior Science Classwork (5 pts max for each type of coursework, 10 pts max)
Prior Degree (1pt for an Associate's degree or above)