Medical Assisting Admissions: Step 5
Complete prerequesite classes
The following prerequisite classes are available at Portland Community College. If you believe you have met the core requirements of any of these classes at other colleges, please contact email@example.com to have your transcripts "unofficially" evaluated to determine completion of requirements. Your classwork may need to be evaluated by the Department Chair as well, before you will be advised on whether your previous coursework meets PCC class requirements.
- WR 121 - English Composition
- MP 111- Medical Terminology
- MTH 60 – Introductory Algebra, 1st term
- BI 121 – Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology, 1st term (will also accept BI 231-232)
ALSO RECOMMENDED: CAS 133 - Basic Computer Skills and/or CAS 121 – Computerized Keyboarding. Students should type 35 wpm to begin the program. Some employers require 45 wpm to be eligible for employment.
All prerequisite classes must be passed with a grade 'C' or above.
Receiving admission points
- For information on other classes you can take prior to entry into the program and those that receive admission points see the prerequisite worksheet
- Students will be ranked in order of points and time of application, so it is to your advantage to get your application in early in case your points put you at the cutoff for admission. Often a student has the same points as a student entering the program, but will miss the opportunity to join the program because of a late application.
- See the Medical Assisting packet for more information on the Essays and Supplemental Questions (see step 6), including grading rubric and specific questions.
The following describes the points used for admission. A total of 56 points is possible. Students with the most points will be invited into the program, and other students will be placed on an alternate list in the order of points and time of application.
Prerequisite classes (6 points for As, 4 for Bs, 2 for Cs, 24 points max.)
Essay questions (0 - 5 points each, 10 points max.)
Supplemental questions (0 - 3 points each, 12 points max.)
Recommendation Forms (0 - 5 points each, 10 points max.)