The Lactation Education and Consultant Program (LECP) is a limited-entry program. A student must apply and be accepted in order to register for lactation courses.
Students who do not plan to participate in the LECP certificate programs, or are not seeking International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) certification are still welcome to apply to attend the Lactation Education courses. If you have questions about the following prerequisites, please contact the LECP by phone or email.
For the Lactation Education and Consultant Program (LECP)
- Students must be one of the following IBLCE recognized health professionals: Dentist, Dietician, Midwife, Nurse, Occupational Therapist, Pharmacist, Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist, Physician or Medical Doctor, Speech Pathologist or Therapist.
- OR -
- Students who are not IBLCE recognized health professionals must have completed all the IBLCE Health Sciences Education requirements before starting the program.
See below for a list of prerequisites offered at PCC that meet the IBCLC Health Science education requirements.
|IBCLE Category||PCC Course||Credits|
|Biology||BI 101 Biology or BI 112 Cell Biology for Health Occupations or BI 211 Principles of Biology or equivalent||5|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology||BI 231 Human Anatomy & Physiology I and BI 232 Human Anatomy & Physiology II or equivalent||8|
|Psychology or Counseling Skills or Communication Skills||PSY 101 Psychology and Human Relations or
PSY 201A Introduction to Psychology or PSY 215 Human Development or PSY 222 Family & Intimate Relationship or SP/COMM 214 Interpersonal Communication: Process & Theory or equivalent
|Infant and Child Growth & Development||HEC 226 Child Development or equivalent||3|
|Nutrition||FN 225 Nutrition or equivalent||4|
|Introduction to Clinical Research||MTH 243 Statistics I or equivalent||4|
|Total Prerequisite Credits||28|
In addition to the prerequisites listed in the table above, before beginning the LECP, students are required to complete college credit or continuing education courses in these subjects:
- Basic Life Support
- Medical Documentation
- Medical Terminology
- Occupational safety, including security, for health professionals
- Professional ethics for health professionals (e.g. Code of Ethics)
- Universal safety precautions and infection control
Below are two good online options for the continuing education courses:
The prerequisites and requirements may be waived if educated in one of the professions on the International Board Lactation Consultant Examiners Recognized Health Professions List. Recognized Health Professionals include Dentist, Dietician, Midwife, Nurse, Occupational Therapist, Pharmacist, Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist, Physician or Medical Doctor, Speech Pathologist or Therapist. Students may demonstrate completion of the prerequisites by submitting a copy of their license, registration, transcript, diploma or degree.