Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon

Admissions: Step 3

Take placement tests or get credit for previous college coursework

To take classwork at PCC you will either need to take a placement exam, such as the Compass Exam, or bring an unofficial transcript to a general advisor or the Allied Health program advisor for evaluation of Writing and Math coursework.

  • If you are new to taking college coursework at PCC, and have not had math and/or writing classes at another accredited college or university, you will need to take the COMPASS placement test. If you need to take the Compass college placement test, see the College Placement Tests page for testing dates, testing locations and test information.
  • Math compass scores expire after three (3) years, so you may need to retest if you have not taken math coursework in the past 3 years. Reading and Writing scores do not expire.
  • If you have a degree or college coursework in Writing Composition and Math; or have completed WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 (in the past 3 years) with a "C" or better, it is not necessary for you to test to take most PCC classes.
    • All previous coursework must be documented on a transcript, and evaluated by an admissions advisor before you can take coursework at PCC. Contact healthca@pcc.edu to have your transcripts unofficially evaluated to receive an override to enroll in classes.
    • You may need to have your transcripts OFFICIALLY evaluated if the advisor is unable to determine if a class meets Writing, Reading and Math requirements. See step 4 for information on getting an official evaluation.