Skip to page content
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you complete your entire AAS degree online?
- All of your HIM courses can be done online with the exception of 40 hours of practicum to be performed in the last term of the program. Your general education, writing and math requirements can either be done online or in class. Some options may not be available online. On-line courses are not self-paced. They are set to open with a new lecture and material each week.
How many students do you admit to your program each year?
- We generally admit 35 students each fall based on a point system. Read the HIM advising guide for more information.
How competitive is admission?
- We usually receive 45 - 55 applications for 35 spots.
What is the cost of your program?
- Tuition and fees are just over $100 per credit.
- The degree is 92 credits, the cost is about $11,000 for tuition, fees and other costs.
Can any of your prerequisites or program classes be substituted with other classes or work experience?
- If you have taken classes that you think could be substituted for HIM program classes contact the admissions advisor at email@example.com. Most writing, math and other general education classes can be transferred from any regionally accredited college.
Is there any way to graduate from your program faster if I’ve been working in the field?
- There is not; the program is 6 terms although some work experience may be substituted for a portion of your practicum hours.
What are the practicum requirements?
- You will work with your practicum instructor to find a practicum site during your final term. 40 hours of practicum is required (20 hours waived if already working in the profession.)
What is the completion rate for your program?
What kind of certification am I eligible for with your program?
- You will be eligible to take the national exam to become a RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician) through AHIMA www.ahima.org.
How much will I make as a graduate of the program?
- Starting salaries in the Portland metro area are around $15-19/hour.
What if I want to continue my education?
- HIM courses are considered career technical courses so they may not be accepted by all universities. However, HIM credits are transferrable to accredited HIM baccalaureate and master degree programs.