Can you complete your entire AAS degree online?
- All of your HIM courses can be done online with the exception of 40 hours of practicum to be performed in the last term of the program. Your general education, writing and math requirements can either be done online or in class. Some options may not be available online. On-line courses are not self-paced. They are set to open with a new lecture and material each week
How many students do you admit to your program each year?
- We admit approximately 35 students each fall based on a point system. Read the HIM advising guide for more information.
How competitive is admission?
- We usually receive 45 - 55 applications for 35 spots
What is the cost of your program?
- Tuition and fees are about $100 per credit.
- The degree is 92 credits, the cost is about $11,000 for tuition, fees and other costs
Can any of your prerequisites or program classes be substituted with other classes or work experience?
- If you have taken classes that you think could be substituted for HIM program classes contact the admissions advisor at email@example.com. Most writing, math and other general education classes can be transferred from any accredited college.
Is there any way to graduate from your program faster if I’ve been working in the field?
- There is not; the program is 6 terms although some work experience may be substituted for a portion of your practicum hours.
What are the practicum requirements?
- You will work with your practicum instructor to find a practicum site during your final term. 40 hours of practicum is required (20 hours waived if already working in the profession.)
What is the completion rate for your program?
- Approximately 90%
What kind of certification am I eligible for with your program?
- You will be eligible to take the national exam to become a RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician) through AHIMA www.ahima.org.
What is the employment rate for graduates from your program and how much will I make?
- Approximately 90% of our graduates are working in their field
- Starting salaries in the Portland metro area are around $15-19/hour
What if I want to continue my education?
- HIM courses are considered career technical courses so they may not be accepted by all universities. However, HIM credits are transferable to accredited HIM baccalaureate and master degree programs.