Prerequisites for entrance into the Fall 2013 Health Information Management program are:
- Completion of WR 121 - English Composition
- Completion of MP 111 - Medical Terminology
- Completion of MTH 65 - Introductory Algebra - 2nd term
- CAS 133 or ability to demonstrate basic computer skills (MS Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
These prerequisites must be completed before your application will be reviewed for admission.
In addition, you will have to pass a Criminal Background Check and have your own transportation to clinical facilities.
Note: If you need to complete prerequisites you may need remedial coursework prior to taking required classes. If you have taken the COMPASS or another placement test within the past three years it is not necessary for you to retest unless your scores do not meet our requirements. If you have a degree or have taken WR 115, RD 115 and/or Mth 20 with a “C” or better, it is not necessary for you to test to take most PCC classes. The courses must be documented on a transcript, and evaluated by an admissions advisor.
To apply for the HIM program, please submit the following:
- Applications are no longer being accepted for the fall 2013 program. Please check back in August for the new application and application dates for the fall 2014 program. Students who have previously applied must complete a new application to be considered for the fall 2014 program.
- If you have taken college level courses, we require unofficial transcripts from colleges you have attended other than PCC. Official transcripts may be required after acceptance into the Health Information Management Program.
- Completed prerequisite coursework, either through placement testing, PCC classes or transfer classes.
For advising questions contact Merry Boyd-Bunch.
As this is a limited enrollment program, we encourage you to complete and mail applications and transcripts to the following address:
Portland Community College
Allied Health Admissions, CA TEB 201
705 N. Killingsworth St.
Portland, OR 97217
Possible Points for Admission
Please check back in September for the Fall 2014 points requirements and application dates.
Applicants who qualify after the initial 30 students have been selected are placed on an alternate list. Often, many alternates are eventually selected for the program. Qualified alternates are accepted if positions in the class become available in the order their applications are received. The Health Information Management Program is a closed program with limited enrollment.
These costs are approximate and based on 2010-11 academic year figures.
|Tuition, Lab, and Fees||See Tuition and Fees|
|Books||Approximately $800 per year|
|Criminal Background Check||$30|
|Professional Association Dues||$35 per year to AHIMA|
|Credentialing Exam Fee||$229 payable to AHIMA|